Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to use ndiswrapper to get a D-Link DWL-G520+ wireless card going on my Slackware (10.2) box. It uses the TI-ACX111 chipset (and is number 14 under D on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy ndiswrapper - "unable to handle kernel paging request..."

I'm trying to use ndiswrapper to get a D-Link DWL-G520+ wireless card going on my Slackware (10.2) box. It uses the TI-ACX111 chipset (and is number 14 under D on the ndiswrapper list of compatible cards).

I've been following the instructions on the ndiswrapper wiki. However, although it instructs you not to use the driver on your CD but to download it from a link on the above mentioned list*, there is no link to the driver for my card, the list merely saying that it ships with the card, so I've used the one on the CD.

All goes well until I reach the command
    Code:
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    when I get a whole series of error messages, beginning with
    Code:
    Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c28cd000
    Oddly, these errors occur after the next command prompt has come up, so the screen looks like this:
    Code:
    root@Bess:/home# modprobe ndiswrapper
    root@Bess:/home# Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c28cd000
    further error messages
    This means that I cant save this error output to a file (at least not in the way I know how), hence my not including the full text of the errors. If it is neccessary I can copy it all out manually, but I thought I'd see if the problem can be solved without that.

Google does throw up a few apparently related pages, but none that seem able to answer the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - any help greatfully recieved
    Toodle-oo
    Giles

*As apparently it should then be more reliable, as it will have been tested
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

I think I may have tracked down the problem (or part of it), though I don't think I'm any closer to the solution.

One of the previous stages in the ndiswrapper installation guide is the command
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    According to the installation guide this should edit the etc/modprobe.conf file.

When I run the command now get the message
    Code:
    modprobe config already contains alias directive
    I assumed this was because I've used the command before, so of course any editing of modprobe.conf would have already been done. However, I've taken I look at modprobe.conf, and it does exist in etc, but it's an empty file.

I've found a script in sbin called "generate-modprobe.conf" which looked promising, but having run it etc/modprobe.conf is still empty, and locate tells me that the script hasn't generated a file with that name anywhere else either.

So I guess what i'm asking now is how to write a modprobe.conf file - could I safely copy the one from another computer, or would this be Bad and Wrong?

Thanks again for any help you can give
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027