Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can someone please help me with this? I'm very new to networking and am getting frustrated trying to find a tutorial that will show me (in great detail) how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Using Samba to share files from Linux to Windows and Linux computers

Can someone please help me with this? I'm very new to networking and am getting frustrated trying to find a tutorial that will show me (in great detail) how to share files using Samba in Debian with a Windows XP machine and another Linux machine. This seems like it would be much easier as I would only have to set Samba up to share files to both, rather than setting up NFS and Samba (as I had attempted to do in the past, but only got NFS working).

I would also appreciate it if someone could show me how to add an init script so it starts at bootup (samba). I've used Gentoo in the past and am starting to realize that there are some big basic differences between Gentoo and Debian, such as how to add something to bootup. in Gentoo, it was as simple as doing "rc-update add <service>" but I know that's not the case in Debian and would like someone to help me understand this.

I've been messing around with this for a few weeks now and have made some big mistakes (one caused the account on a Linux client to be useless). I've found a few tutorials online but few said anything about Windows XP, and the one that did made a lot of assumptions (such as adding something to bootup).

Thank you very much for reading this and I look forward to all help!

Linux Enthusiast
    can a mod move this to the server section...or can someone help me? please