Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have to buy a switch or a hub soon, so that I can connect my three computers together, but I am not sure which one to get. I know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

A Switch or a Hub?

I have to buy a switch or a hub soon, so that I can connect my three computers together, but I am not sure which one to get. I know that a switch is a little cheaper, and after a little bit of reasearch i found that a switch allows a max of 100Mbits/sec for every computer connected to it, where as a hub allows 100Mbit tranfer total.

If this is true, then why are hubs more expensive if they allow less data dransfer speed. I guess i would like to know which one you should think i should i buy. I am leaning toward the switch, because it is cheaper, and it allows more data transfer, except i feel that there must be a catch somewhere, or else it should cost more. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would suggest you get a switch as it is more efficient at transmitting packets around. A hub by its nature is a dumb object, it gets a packet and broadcasts it to all machines on the network. A switch on the other hand is a bit more intelligent, it gets the packet and sends it to the required computer only.

The only reason that I can think of why the hub would be more expensive is that it is not manufactured anymore and the seller thinks he/she can make more profit from an unsuspecting customer (Note, this is just my conspiracy theory).. Also the hub might be a "Brand name" one e.g. 3COM, CISCO etc..
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

I should have said that I also have a wireless access point that i want to attach to the switch/hub so that all of my computers can recieve the internet. Is a switch going to do that as well as or better than a hub? Thanks

A switch would be better for attaching the Access Point to due to reasons explained above.

Other thing is you could just get a wireless router as this basicially has a Wireless AP + Switch built into the one box, they are pretty cheap these days, I picked up mine for US$70.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Alright, thanks for the help. It looks like i am going for the switch then.

A router is probably to expensive, given that i already paid $40 for my accesspoint, and I found a switch + cables for ~$30. plus so i would rather a switch, so that i don't feel like i wasted 40 bucks for an accesspoint that i wouldn't be using.