Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear all! Don't know where to post it exactly, but here's the situation. I'm sitting behind the router and I have no rights to open/forward the ports. And I want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Remote access.

Dear all!
    Don't know where to post it exactly, but here's the situation.
    I'm sitting behind the router and I have no rights to open/forward the ports. And I want to connect to my computer remotely from school for example. I've got an idea to install some application on my homepage's server so it will be connected to my home PC. Then from remote computer (school) I will connect to my server and then though it to my computer. AFAIK ICQ works that way. You don't connect to your friend directly but through ICQ's server.
    So I want to ask if it is possible at all and is there any software to do that?
    Thanks in advance.

The only use for a forwarding-server in this situation is if your school blocks outgoing ports for the remote access you're going to use (VNC:5900/SSH:22). But as I understood your post the problem was that the router that your home computer is behind blocks incoming connections on the default ports.
    If you're able to connect the server computer to your home pc you kinow that you have at least one port open for incoming traffic to your home PC, wich means that you can probably connect directly to your home computer if you just set your VNC/SSH server to run for the correct port.

To find open incoming ports in the router you can use a simple portscanner and run it on your computer. Nmap is a very popular portscanner: http://www.insecure.org/nmap/.

From school, can you get on the Internet with your web browser? Is Java installed on your school computer? If so, another option is to run vnc-java from your web browser. Your home computer will have to have vncserver installed and running. Configure your home router to forward ports 5801 and 5901 to your home box's ip, then from your browser...

http://ip_assigned_by_home_isp:5801

For transferring files though, I'd definitely use ssh above all else if you can.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Configure your home router to forward ports 5801 and 5901 to your home box's ip
    That's the problem. I CAN'T open any ports on my router. Otherwise I wouldnt open that topic and would just use proftpd on my PC.

2nalg0rath
    Thanks. Surely I have access to the Internet from my school. Will look at suggested program.

P.S.
    Forgot to mention. I have few computers in my LAN so everytime I connect router assigns me different IP.

Quote Originally Posted by void_false
    That's the problem. I CAN'T open any ports on my router. Otherwise I wouldnt open that topic and would just use proftpd on my PC.
    So which port(s) ARE open?

Just Joined!
    As per nmap:
    Code:
    PORT   STATE    SERVICE
    21/tcp open     ftp
    23/tcp open     telnet
    80/tcp filtered http

You could try to repoint ssh or vnc to listen on port 80. That way you are working on a port number that is most likely open at school.

As per nmap:
    Code:
    PORT   STATE    SERVICE
    21/tcp open     ftp
    23/tcp open     telnet
    80/tcp filtered http
    Do you know if either 21 or 23 are forwarded by your home router to your home box or any other box on your home network?

Just Joined!
    No no no. Nothing is forwarded. That's why I'm asking. I want to do something like ICQ. I want to install something as server on my homepage's server. Then I will have client on home PC and on school PC. I just want to know does this "something" exists.

No no no. Nothing is forwarded. That's why I'm asking.
    In your original post, you said "I have no rights to open/forward the ports," you didn't say whether any were already opened or forwarded. Good luck...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast