Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have been trying for several days now to get my belkin f5d7000 desktop network card to work on ubuntu 5.10. I am trying to use ndiswrapper and i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

f5d7000 wireless card... help please

Hello, I have been trying for several days now to get my belkin f5d7000 desktop network card to work on ubuntu 5.10. I am trying to use ndiswrapper and i have followed several tutorials including the wiki tutorial, a howto tutorial that is posted on the ubuntu-forum page, and a few more that don't stand out in my memory.

I have tried several different drivers. After doing a ndiswrapper -i name.inf I get one of two responses depending on the inf file:

1) invalid driver!
    2) name driver present

I always install .inf files with their corresponding .sys files in the same folder, though im not sure how much this matters...

What worries me is that after typing ndiswrapper -l with many different .inf file isntalled I have never once seen it say hardware present like it says it should in many of the tutorials.

I have tried ndiswrapper version 1.1 (the package included with ubuntu) and I have also tried ndiswrapper version 1.7. They both seem to behave the same way.

I also reformatted my computer to see if it would help but everything seems to act the same.

It is a big hassel to download stuff onto my comp because I don't have access to a land line I have to use wireless because me and my neighbor share internet and the router is not in my apartment. I have been going to the ubuntu repositories online and downloading packages and tranferring them to my linux box and using dpkg which is a pain.

What worries me is that when I type lspci -v my wireless card seems to be recognized but is disabled. Is this why ndiswrapper never says hardware present or is ndiswrapper supposed to enable it?

I am fairly new to linux. So if you need me to give you more info I would be happy to but simple instructions on how to do it might save us some time and unneccesary posts of me saying "I don't understand". I really appreciate anyone who can read this. Thanks for everyone's time!

-Marc Orr

ps. I forgot to say that I also download Ndiswrapper .11 because a couple of people on the wiki list said they were able to get it to work but I got compile time errors so I was unable to try using it.

You have the driver cd which came with the card right? Launch linux and insert the driver cd. Copy the driver section to your home directory somewhere. Then retry the process i.e. ndiswrapper -i ..... . See the thing is that you need more than just the .inf and .sys files it varies between cards, but mine has some bin files and more...

Also, it is not a good idea to have multiple instances of ndiswrapper installed on your system, that could be the cause of some of your problems.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Hrmmm...

>You have the driver cd which came with the card right? Launch linux and
    >insert the driver cd. Copy the driver section to your home directory
    >somewhere. Then retry the process i.e. ndiswrapper -i ..... . See the thing
    >is that you need more than just the .inf and .sys files it varies between
    >cards, but mine has some bin files and more...

Well, my cd consist of an .exe file, .DS_Store file, and a pdf file. I currently have a dual boot system and I have the wireless card working on windows on the same computer that I can't get it to work on with ubuntu.

I guess when I installed it on windows (windows 2000) the cd created a drivers folder that consisted of bcm43xx.cat, bcmwl5.inf, and bcmwl5.sys. I copied that entire folder to ubuntu and ndiswrapper says it is an invalid driver (version 1.1).

>Also, it is not a good idea to have multiple instances of ndiswrapper
    >installed on your system, that could be the cause of some of your problems.

I'm fairly sure I was successfully removing old versions of ndiswrapper before I installed new ones. Version 1.1 came with the system and I was using the package manager to add and remove that one. For version 1.7 I used make uninstall when I was done with it. Version .11 never compiled.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

also...

I forgot to add right now I'm working off of a fresh install using ndiswrapper version 1.1 from the package manager.

Hmm only other thing I can think of is to goto the ndiswrapper wiki page and use one of the drivers people have successfully used to get working under linux. Also, just in my experience, ndiswrapper seems to be happier with XP drivers... just a thought.

You could also goto belkin's site and download the latest drivers.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

seems to be working

I guess I was just using the wrong driver. I went on to the belkin website and downloaded their drivers and tried all of them (for the f5d7000) until i found one that works.

One thing that may help people who come accross this post that I discovered is that in windows you can sometimes change the extension of an exe file to zip and then open it as a zip file to extract files without running the exe and installing god knows what onto your computer. I imagine you can do something similar in linux but I haven't tried.

-Marc