Find the answer to your Linux question:
1) lets say i was going to setup a network with a few linux boxes and a windows box to control my printer. Would i need to use samba to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

various network questions

1) lets say i was going to setup a network with a few linux boxes and a windows box to control my printer. Would i need to use samba to share the printer on the network?

2) would i need to use samba to view files on a linux machine from another?

3) if i hooked up one of the linux machines directly (via a crossover cable) to the windows machine how would i go about accessing its resources? would i need to use samba for everything including the printer?

i know these are varied, but please be patient.

thanks
    /weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Linux Enthusiast
    1) yes

2) viewing files from one Linux to another requies NFS, from Windows to Linux requies Samba

3) Too complicated. Buy an inexpensive switch or router and do it the right way. A cheap Linksys 5-port switch will cost you < $30.00 U.S.

have fun and learn something, it's great!

thanks! i tried my 3) thing not long ago and found that the linux machine will ping the windows machine and the windows machine will ping the linux machine, but no resources.

thanks again
    weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close