Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

try: as root

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    if that shows eth0 under the ifconfig command then your network card is detected and set up right your just not connected

if it shows up try

Code:
    dhcpcd eth0 or dhclient eth0
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

well this dosen't look too good, everything listed is a unknown deivce (almost everything)

here are the unknown things:

memory controller
    isa brige
    smbus
    multimedia audio controller
    IDE interface
    IDE interface
    IDE interface
    PCI bridge
    bridge
    PCI bridge
    PCI bridge
    PCI bridge
    PCI bridge

those are the ones unknown, all from Nvidia. now i have downlaoded a driver, about 7 megs, it says i don't have a kernel source tree or somthing, i just updated my kernel to 2.6.8.1.26, where do i get that source and how do i install it (the driver is for ethernet and audio)

In Mandriva, use the urpmi command to get whatever software you want. e.g. for kernel sources, run this command as root:
    Code:
    urpmi kernel-source
    Since you don't have internet in Linux, simply launch the MCC and use its "Add/remove software" tool to install the kernel-source or kernel development package.

Since your ethernet card is not listed in the unknown devices, can you try this commands as root:
    Code:
    modprobe forcedeth  <--- loads driver for integrated card
    ifconfig  <---- paste out here what it returns.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    In Mandriva, use the urpmi command to get whatever software you want. e.g. for kernel sources, run this command as root:
    Code:
    urpmi kernel-source
    I was trying to help happy penguin yesturday on AIM, and i told him to do that same thing. except we ran into an issue, because we could not find a very recent version of the kernel. (we found mandrake10.1 kernel version 2.6.8.1.26).

Now i was wondering, first off, do kernels updated with urpmi have to be .rpms? I though so, so we only looked at rpm kernels. And he was able to intall 2.6.8.1.26 sucsessfully, but it did not seem to help. So, the real question is, where can we find a more recent kernel for mandrake 10.1 that will work with urmpi? I looked on the madrake download sight, but i could not find any more recent than 2.6.8.1.26.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    I was trying to help happy penguin yesturday on AIM, and i told him to do that same thing. except we ran into an issue, because we could not find a very recent version of the kernel. (we found mandrake10.1 kernel version 2.6.8.1.26).

Now i was wondering, first off, do kernels updated with urpmi have to be .rpms? I though so, so we only looked at rpm kernels. And he was able to intall 2.6.8.1.26 sucsessfully, but it did not seem to help. So, the real question is, where can we find a more recent kernel for mandrake 10.1 that will work with urmpi? I looked on the madrake download sight, but i could not find any more recent than 2.6.8.1.26.
    With urpmi, the files need to be in rpm format. Now, I know that Mandrake 10.1 has the sources available on the installation media, but wether they are 2.6.8.1.26 I don't know. If it is possible, try reverting back to the 2.6.xxx kernel which comes with the Mandrake 10.1 installation disc and also install the kernel source through the MCC. From memory, the kernel source can be found under either kernel development or development heading.

An alternative, would be to compile the kernel yourself using a recent snapshot from kernel.org and because you compiled the kernel the source files would be present.

2 questions:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    If it is possible, try reverting back to the 2.6.xxx kernel which comes with the Mandrake 10.1 installation disc and also install the kernel source through the MCC
    Why would we want to revert to the original kernel version? I think he has 2.6.8.1.15 or something like that, and now after the urpmi upgrade he as 2.6.8.1.26? I am not sure whether it really makes a difference.

Sorry, but what is MCC?

An alternative, would be to compile the kernel yourself using a recent snapshot from kernel.org and because you compiled the kernel the source files would be present.
    I told Happy Penguin that i didn't know how to do that(which i don't), and since he seems to be a newbie, i am not sure that it is a good idea to compile a kernel from source, as one of your first steps into linux. That is unless someone who knows more than me helps him. I for one can't.

Linux Newbie

internet

I have had trouble with MDK 10.1, but even so, if you say that everything during boot is OK except for sound, then that means your eth0 is detected and OK. During installation, Mandrake gives you the chance to setup internet. If you missed it, you can still do it from MCC.

That realtek card should work.

Go to Mandrake Control Center start/menu -. system -> configuration -> config your computer
    Select internet and network -> select setup a new connection -> select LAN

follow the wizard. This should get you going. Try to connect NIC directly to DSL.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso
    2 questions:
    Why would we want to revert to the original kernel version? I think he has 2.6.8.1.15 or something like that, and now after the urpmi upgrade he as 2.6.8.1.26? I am not sure whether it really makes a difference.

Sorry, but what is MCC?
    1. Unless you can find the source files for 2.6.8.1.26 either through urpmi or something, the best way to get the sources would be to just grab the original ones off the Mandrake installation media. In this case, as you say, they would be 2.6.8.1.15 no huge difference.

2. MCC == Mandrake Control Center, similar to YaST in SUSE.

Happy Penguin, if you do wish to compile your own kernel, try this site for some info, if you have more questions, please post back:
    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html