Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi, im totaly new to linux and having problems connecting to the internet. this is my set up (i have DSL): Phone Jack--> DSL Modem --> 5 Port Switch --> ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Arrow Just want a working internet connection...

hi, im totaly new to linux and having problems connecting to the internet. this is my set up (i have DSL):

Phone Jack--> DSL Modem --> 5 Port Switch --> Linux Box + Other Boxes

i really just want my linux box to have an open internet connection (my dsl modem is always connected), i am running Mandrake 10.1. when i rebooted my comp i hit ESC to see the text stuff, all of em were OK cept one which was for my sound, (i have intergrated and will download the driver from nvidia hence i have an internet connection ) i did this cuz i googled around and sum where it said mandrake connects u automaticly, if u don't have it working then there should be a FAILED infront of sumthing pertaing to the netowork device. i checked in the settings area, my intergrated gigabit lan is recignized, so is the extra Realtekl nic i threw onto a free PCI cuz i saw the exact driver for the nic i had laying around. the ethernet is connected to the NIC.

Many Thanks

Just Joined!
    Bump, can any one help me with that issue, i need to do alot of updating etc and it still doesn't have a working internet connection (i shall test a direct connection to my DSL modem and see what happens.)

can you post out the exact error, you can see the error which occured during boot by looking through the /var/log/messages file (you need root permissions to access it).

Be wary, this file is very big, don't paste it all out here, just the section which pertains to the ethernet device.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thank you for responding, i donot know how to have root permissions, i used>

Code:
    sh
    Password:
    [root@localhost /home]# cd /var/log
    [root@localhost log]# sh messages
    messages: Line 8: 'Jan 22 10:55:52 localhost kernel: Linux version 2.6.8.1-12mdk (quintela@n5.mandrakesoft.com) (gcc version 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux (Alpha 3.4.1-3mdk)) #1 Fri Oct 12:53:41 CEST2004'
    That is what i got when i tryed to execute it (im new at this, i just installed Enemy Territory with the "sh" command, and since when i try to open it with Konquerer it has a little pad lock and says i don't have permission, although i think i gave myself permission with "su", + when i log out the only account i see is the account i've been using, i don't see a "root" account.

by the way, since your a Linux Guru, whats the command to enable Xorg 5.8.6 3D Support (or sumthing with the version number). cause i think i didn't enable it when i installed it, and Enemy Territoy attempts to load, then it flashes a black screen then comes back to desktop. what command do i use for enabling it?

oh and how do i update my Kernel, i downloaded the like full version of it, unpacked it into a /home dir, then found the README which didn't help me much, i need the kernel update because the Nvidia driver i've gotten for my chipset has enthernet drivers + sound drivers which i need, but it hits errors when i install it, it says errors with the kernel version or sumthing (i have 2.6.8.x, i forgot the last number) help would be greatly appreceated AlexK, Linux Guru :bows:

Just Joined!
    ahh im soo frustrated! i can't get linux to do anything!!! it can't connect to any thing cause "no ethernet card deceted" eventho in the system config it says there is a ethernet card in it! what ever happend to that autoconfig thing in mandrake? is it not installed? cause i've been having lots of problems with this thing. when i directly conencted it with a DSL modem, i told it to connect with ADSL connection, it asks what provider, and it lists all these diffrent countrys OTHER than usa. so i just choose a random one, then it asks for all this DNS & host stuff. i have no idea what to enter in those places, since it's optional i hit NEXT, then it asks to install sommthing off CD 1, i pop it in like it asks, it reads it for a sec, then pops it back out asking for CD 1 even that that WAS cd 1! what the heck is going on!? my AIM screenname is :
    Code:
    kavon89
    please help me out!

OK, no need to panic. linux is all about learning, and we all get stuck sometimes, especially in the beginning. Unfortunately i don't know much about mandrake linux (I use Fedora), but when you say that the system detected your ethernet card, did you set it up, or did you activate the card? That might be the key to getting it to work.

Happy_Penguin23, to view the contents of the /var/log/messages file, execute the following commands in the terminal:
    Code:
    su -   <-------- command for becoming root, it will prompt you for the root password
    less /var/log/messages  <---- less is a program for displaying contents of a file to the terminal
    ifconfig  <------ need the results from this to see if card is detected
    Also, what is the make of the ethernet card you are using, if it is the integrated one, can you tell us which motherboard you are using?

Just Joined!
    that log file is HUGE! lol, i can tell it logs everything i did, and i read the full one for today (the 26th) the only FAILED or bad thing i found was for te sound driver. nvaudio wasn't deceted or sumthing of that sort. it should be AC97 audio. here is my comp specs:

ASUS K8N4-E DULUXE mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 2800+ OC'd @ 2Ghz
    512+128 Mb RAM (266 mhz)
    At the moment a Radeon 7000 PCI, cause i coudln't get my x300 PCIe workin with my kernel or somthing.
    20 GB hd, 1 GB swap, i think 5 gig for /, the rest (11 gig) is /home.
    i have an internal ethernet which i think isn't working right, so i stuck my handy little pci ethernet 10/100 card on to a free pci, it has a belkin logo on it eventho i remember when i had it on windows it was Realtec Fast PCI 10/100. (all my networking peferials are from belkin basicly, cept the dsl modem which is a Westell 6100)

^yeah it's not the best pc, but it's kinda old and is gonna be replaced soon, im using it as a learning test computer for linux, cuz my next pcs gonna have a tri boot of a few distros.

heres what it said when i used ifconfig (oh and thanks for the su - command, i've memorized alot of them and almost always have the termanal open )

Code:
    [root@localhost root]# ifconfig
    lo                Linkl encap:Local loopback
                       inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
                       inet addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                       UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric: 1
                      RX packets: 62 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 frame: 0
                      TX packets: 62 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0 carrier: 0
    well there u have it, the 127.0.0.1 is an ip i recignize, i think the mask is right, tho i think it should be 255.255.255.0, not sure about that tho.

**edit**
    i just pinged 127.0.0.1, seemed to have worked, i was watching my switch's lights, they werre communicating (least im pretty sure) heres what it said
    Code:
    [root@localhost root]# ping 127.0.0.1
    PING 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data
    64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq1 ttl=64 time=0.033ms
    64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq2 ttl=64 time=0.014ms
    from there it just kept pinging, couldn't stop it so i just closed the window (i think i didn't tell it how many times to ping it, lol) oh and why does my monitor keep going off, i tryed in power management to disable it, but even when im typing somthing or playing SuperTux it goes off for a sec says OFF MODE IN 5, then goes back on again, it's a little annoying but tolerable (i'd rather have the internet first )

you need to find out the address from your modem and try and ping that instead of 127.0.0.1 since that's your computer!
    Usually the modem will be 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.138

Happy_Penguin23, ifconfig shows that the driver for the ethernet card is not present. lo is a "fake" ethernet device which the computer can use to communicate with itself.

Now, I googled your mobo and it seems that it uses an nForce4 chipset. What I want you to do is look at the output from the lspci command, you may need root permissions. Look for a entry similar to
    0000:00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce Ethernet Controller (rev c2)
    That above entry is for my nForce based ethernet controller. If it is present, goto the MCC's network setup tool and setup a wired LAN as normal, tell it to use the "forcedeth" driver, which should work for all ethernet cards based around an nforce chipset.

If that step goes right, then again look at the output from ifconfig, you'll see an entry for eth0 and that means the driver is present and, then you can go about setting up your internet.

If that doesn't work, try googling around fo the correct driver for the Belkin ethernet card and its Linux driver, it is possible that the driver may be present in Mandriva, but I don't know what it might be called.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast