Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i am having real problems with samba. most of the guides on the net i cannot understand at all. is ther a straightforward simple guide out there? thanks /weed...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

samba

i am having real problems with samba.

most of the guides on the net i cannot understand at all.

is ther a straightforward simple guide out there?

thanks
    /weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Just Joined!

sorry man...

I have looked long and hard for guides other than the official smb one. Yea, havent found one. I almost have samba working (linking up a home network).. but its crazy sporadic. the only way i got this close was by plugging in random numbers and crossing my fingers. Do we have somebody at this board that knows samba?

Collin

Guys, I am sorta working on a mini Samba howto, will post it later today or tomorrow. I don't know if it would be reall straightforward or simple, but you guys could give it a try and find out for me....

Ok, howto is up:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ser...d=1#post297923
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Enthusiast
    Enable Samba and open the necessary ports. Install Webmin for remote HTTP based server management and configure Samba via Webmin. This is the easiest way to configure Samba. If you install Webmin, post back and I will walk you through this.

gtmtnbiker98 is right on the mark. I was pulling my hair out with Samba until I installed Webmin. It's a great utility that makes configuring Samba a breeze. At least it made it easy for me...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux User
    you could try the offical documentation
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Quote Originally Posted by winter
    you could try the offical documentation
    if i remember, i read that one and got a bit of understanding of it, but i dont understand it.

webmin looks pretty cool, ill give it a try when i get samba installed on my gentoo system.

/weed

hey AlexK, i used your guide to setup samba.

but the only thing i had to do different was to use the Windows password for this, not the samba password:
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs -o username=USER,password=<win passwd> //mypc/samba /mnt/samba
    and then it worked.

also when i try to access //samba_server/public from windows, i cannot write to it. but i can write to the <current_users> share directory.

also2, with your guide, can you add in a section for adding a windows printer (via samba) to a linux machine, not the other way around like many people have done.

thanks AlexK for writing that guide,
    /weed

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    if i remember, i read that one and got a bit of understanding of it, but i dont understand it.

webmin looks pretty cool, ill give it a try when i get samba installed on my gentoo system.

/weed
    there also another one that is in the style of a senerio as well
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    hey AlexK, i used your guide to setup samba.

but the only thing i had to do different was to use the Windows password for this, not the samba password:
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs -o username=USER,password=<win passwd> //mypc/samba /mnt/samba
    and then it worked.

also when i try to access //samba_server/public from windows, i cannot write to it. but i can write to the <current_users> share directory.

also2, with your guide, can you add in a section for adding a windows printer (via samba) to a linux machine, not the other way around like many people have done.

thanks AlexK for writing that guide,
    /weed
    I am currently writing up the guide for connecting a printer to linux machine which will be shared to windows clients through samba or cups. It should be up by the weekend.

For the writing from windows problem, check the driectory permissions on the samba server. You might need to chmod it.

Thanks for letting me know about that little typo in my howto.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast