Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have posted this under Debian but the post got no responses, and it also seems to be a general networking issue then a distro problem. I am using an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless with WEP 128bit

I have posted this under Debian but the post got no responses, and it also seems to be a general networking issue then a distro problem.

I am using an internal wireless card, Intel 2100 and its detected and installed with the distro (knoppix, kubuntu, fedora 4) and works with no problems.

I can not get 128bit wep working. I am dual booting this laptop and have a shared fat drive between xp and *.nix. I copy/pasted the wep key from my router into a text file and saved it on the fat drive, copy/pasted into linux networking configuration and can not connect. Connection works fine in XP.

After much playing around, I have tried ascii and hex keys and same result, I dropped down to a 64 bit key and it worked fine. The only thing I changed in this case was the key on the router config and it worked in XP and *.nix. But nothing I do will get the 128bit key to work.

most recently, I have used the built in manager in kubuntu (not sure what it is), kwifimanager(sucks big time), wifi-radar, and manually editing the interface.

Any help is most appreciated.

no one uses 128bit wep?

Just Joined!
    I've got the exact same problem!

Any luck on fixing yours yet?

Even though 128 bit WEP encryption works with certain cards in Windows does not mean it will also work in Linux. There are cards that WEP isn't supported at all in Linux and everything in between. My guess is you've done all the right things to get 128 encryption working and it won't. Unless you can Google something that says otherwise for your card, I'd just assume 128 WEP isn't going to work with your card, and configure it for 64 bit WEP encryption which is at least preferable to no encryption at all.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

thanks for the reply. the only reason I gave the reference to it working in windows was to try and say that I got it working and it wasn't a router/key issue.

I haven't found a solution and it sounds like you just figured it out. I didn't know that wep could be flaky from card to card, but honestly it makes sense. This built in intel card is not the best from my mileage