Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a problem with inetd . I have configured /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services in such away that inetd daemon is supossed to start telnet and ftp services to handle ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with inetd

Hello,

I have a problem with inetd. I have configured /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services in such away that inetd daemon is supossed to start telnet and ftp services to handle any connection to 21 and 23 ports (in fact, I did not need to change /etc/services, because by default 23/tcp is associated with telnet service and 21/tcp is associated with ftp service). Once modified properly these two files, I have restarted daemon inetd. I know inetd daemon is runing because I can see it thanks to ps aux commnad, but netstat -atupn command does not show inetd daemon listening at 23/tcp and 21/tcp ports. In fact, netstat -atupn command does not show inetd. Does anybody know any solution to this problem?.

Thanks a lot.

shroc.

Just Joined!
    netstat prints network connections. To see whether indeed there are processes which are opening 21 and 23 ports, try these shell commands (as root):
    fuser 21/tcp
    fuser 23/tcp
    fuser command will return the PID of the proper processes.