Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2 1.5 Mb ADSL broadband via modem I have been spendig couple days to find out the cause of slow web browsing on 1.5Mb broadband connection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Problem on web browsing

Hi folks,

Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2
    1.5 Mb ADSL broadband via modem

I have been spendig couple days to find out the cause of slow web browsing on 1.5Mb broadband connection without result. It took prolonged time to connect a website. The strange thing was web browsing via 56K modem connection worked even better, no need to wait.

I changed the network card. ISP even sent his technical staff for site visit checking the cable without any discovery. On the same PC I have other 2 HDs mounted on mobile rack, running WinXP and FC3 respectively. Comparing all of them, web browsing on WinXP worked fastest, not necessary waiting for connecting after pressing <RETURN> and FC3 also not bad, no need waiting for prolonged time to connect. Knoppix LiveCD was the slowest on connecting. I have to sit and wait.

All connection were tested with Firefox as browser.

I tested Knoppix LiveCD on another PC. The same result was found. 56K modem connection performed better than 1.5Mb broadband connection.

Kindly advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Is this adsl connection using a PPPoE setup? if so, you might have to change the mtu to 1492 to get max performance out of it. i.e. ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

If your browser's status bar shows that you're spending a lot of time "Connecting to such-and-such," your DNS server probably doesn't support IPV6 and you'll want to turn it off. You can do that in Firefox by typing "about:config" in the address bar, type "ipv6" in the filter field that comes up, then double-click on "network.dns.disableIPv6" (which should be the only entry that remains after filtering).

If that helps the web browsing, but you use a separate e-mail client, you may find that checking e-mail still takes longer than it should. You can disable IPv6 system-wide by editing the /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file (as root) and commenting out the line that says "alias net-pf-10 ipv6" or changing "ipv6" to "off".
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Linux Guru
    Hi folks,

Tks for your advice.

I have my problem partitially solved with following step;
    One of the nameserver assigned died.

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    nameserver 202.123.77.196 
    nameserver 202.123.77.213
    # ping -c 3 202.123.77.196
    Code:
    PING 202.123.77.196 (202.123.77.196): 56 data bytes

--- 202.123.77.196 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
    # ping -c 3 202.123.77.213
    Code:
    PING 202.123.77.213 (202.123.77.213): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 202.123.77.213: icmp_seq=0 ttl=252 time=17.8 ms
    64 bytes from 202.123.77.213: icmp_seq=1 ttl=252 time=18.2 ms
    64 bytes from 202.123.77.213: icmp_seq=2 ttl=252 time=18.2 ms

--- 202.123.77.213 ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 17.8/18.0/18.2 ms
    After reverting their order, web browsing was much faster than before.

However each time booting up Knoppix LiveCD 4.0.2, /etc/resolv.conf is an empty file with no entry.

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    # Insert nameserver here 
    # nameserver 127.0.0.1
    After setting up ADSL broadband connection, following nameservers are assigned automatically;
    nameserver 202.123.77.196
    nameserver 202.123.77.213

But "nameserver 202.123.77.196" is not active. Each time I have to revert their order.

How to get it corrected? ISP only provides dynamic IP. DNS server is in ISP's office.

Regarding disable ipv6 in the kernel, I have to run
    echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
    echo "alias ipv6 off" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

and reboot Knoppix LiveCD afterwards to take effect. But once reboot all entries disappear. Is there any suggestion, other than remastering Knoppix LiveCD? Tks.

Is there a way checking the speed of ADSL broadband? I'm interested to know the actual speed of my 1.5Mb ADSL broadband connection. TIA

Hi Zelmo

If your browser's status bar shows that you're spending a lot of time "Connecting to such-and-such," your DNS server probably doesn't support IPV6 and you'll want to turn it off. .......
    I got it done but no obvious speed improvement.

Hi AlexK
    Is this adsl connection using a PPPoE setup? if so, you might have to change the mtu to 1492 to get max performance out of it. i.e. ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
    I think so. I ran;
    KStart --> Systmes --> ADSL/PPPOE configuration
    then following its instruction.

Whether run "ifconfig eth0 mtu 1942" on console. Tks

B.R.
    satimis

For speedtest, here is one I use from time to time: http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
    or this one which has a few more tools: http://www.dslreports.com/tools

And, yes you do execute ifconfig eth0 .... in the console, although some distros do provide a field for mtu in their network card configuration.

As for saving the configuration, I heard that with Knoppix you can either create a small partition on the drive for it to store configuration files and such or you can use a small usb flash drive.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Guru
    Hi AlexK,

As for saving the configuration, I heard that with Knoppix you can either create a small partition on the drive for it to store configuration files and such or you can use a small usb flash drive.
    I'll save it on USB Flash Drive.

I just ran;
    # ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492
    on FC3

But not much recognized difference on speed.

Others noted with tks

satimis

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    If your browser's status bar shows that you're spending a lot of time "Connecting to such-and-such," your DNS server probably doesn't support IPV6 and you'll want to turn it off. You can do that in Firefox by typing "about:config" in the address bar, type "ipv6" in the filter field that comes up, then double-click on "network.dns.disableIPv6" (which should be the only entry that remains after filtering).

If that helps the web browsing, but you use a separate e-mail client, you may find that checking e-mail still takes longer than it should. You can disable IPv6 system-wide by editing the /etc/modprobe.d/aliases file (as root) and commenting out the line that says "alias net-pf-10 ipv6" or changing "ipv6" to "off".

My friend YOU ARE A GODSEND! I've been looking for this for hours on a UNBELIEVABLY SLOW connection. Thank you very much!