Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well iv got a strange problem with my machine. I cant download any files?! Or update my system using YUM. When i try using YUM i get this error message: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cant Download? Yum Fails...

Well iv got a strange problem with my machine. I cant download any files?! Or update my system using YUM.

When i try using YUM i get this error message:

Reading repository metadata in from local files
    primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 136 kB 00:28
    http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/os...rimary.xml.gz: [Errno 4] Socket Error: timed out
    Trying other mirror.
    Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from base: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
    Which is strange? When i try to download any files it fails after around 30% or 500kb which ever is first! I know my router and internet is working as i have Windows XP installed downstairs and everything runs fine. Iv only just installed CentOS 4.2 today, well its a new machine for development use.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there any solutions?

Thanks in advance!

My experience of CentOS is quite limited, but I have noticed that they dont have nearly as many mirrors as RedHat - and they are under no duty to provide upgrades to a service level or timeframe.

If you're struggling to get hold of updates through yum, it's probably because it's a new install and you need to download a large batch of updates. To ger around this problem, you can always download updates by browsing the updates area from the CentOS official website. If you can download all the updated RPM packages, and install them locally without needing yum (you'll need to satisfy any dependencies by hand, but all the rpm's to do that should be there).

Once the big initial update has been applied, you can go back to yum for regular updates, it knows what's on your system because it reads the local rpm database.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    That doesnt seem to be the problem. As i cant download any files full stop, if i download a file via wget or firefox it stalls at around 30% and then doesnt bother downloading again. This is from any site even my own server, so its definatly an internal problem rather than something to do with CentOS's servers / mirrors!

Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Seems to of fixed its self now!

All i did was keep forcing YUM to update everything, and once it had everything worked like normal!

Thanks for the help Roxoff!

Quote Originally Posted by adaml
    Seems to of fixed its self now!

All i did was keep forcing YUM to update everything, and once it had everything worked like normal!

Thanks for the help Roxoff!
    Any time. I had similar problems with using up2date on later RedHat Linux systems, it was particularly bad for the 1st update - because of the huge number of packages it was trying to get; repeated 'up2date' commands were needed to fix it all. IIRC, the best way I found to do it was to list what was available then updated a few specific packages off the list, and repeat. I thought yum had resolved all those problems.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/