Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to get rsh, rcp, rlogin and telnet to work on local network. Have set up the trusted hosts files hosts.equiv, .rhosts with host and user names ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

r-cmds & telnet error, "connect refused"

I have been trying to get rsh, rcp, rlogin and telnet to work on local network. Have set up the trusted hosts files hosts.equiv, .rhosts with host and user names and also with the "+ +" config. Keep getting "connection refused" error. Also ran ethereal and the tcp packets that repeat show [syn] flag in first packet and [rst, ack] in the second packet. Seems that TCP is not making the connection. What am I doing wrong or where might the problem be? I have DNS primary server on one of these machines which works fine to resolve hostnames and also the /etc/hostsfile has name mappings so ip address resolution with nslookup works fine.

Linux Guru
    if your trying to telnet to the other machine for example, then you will need a telnet server running and bound to a TCP port (23). My guess would be that this has not happened.

from the "server" run "netstat -ant | grep LISTENING" and it will show you all the open ports that are waiting for connections.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Another verification of what is running is to try the following:

ps –ax for all services running or ps –ef > file.txt

Just another way of basically doing the same thing except its by service not port.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi Jaguar
    My father used to say "If you want toast, you have to plug in the toaster". I didn't realize that there was a server that had to be running. I am still learning. After I got telnet-server running it works. I also started the rshd daemon and the rlogind daemon so now rsh and rlogin work. Thanks. However still can't get rcp to work. Getting "permission denied" error. I know this probably has to do with the file permissions. Have checked over all the permissions and ownerships of the files I want to transfer/copy and seems ok. Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Hiya,

Consider using scp instead, it uses SSH, which basically means the data is encryted during transit.

EG:
    Code:
    scp localfile.txt user@192.168.1.203:
    would copy "localfile.txt" to the machine eat IP address 192.168.1.203 to the users "user" home directory.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Hi Jason, Its me again,

Thanks for the advice on using scp and it works great. However I am one nut who likes to find out why things aren't working (auto mechanic by trade) soooo...!! I am still trying to figure out rcp. In my wandering thru man pages I noticed something about hostnames only being 16 characters long. The FQDN on the one machine is hpasusk7m.newt.com which is 18 chars. It seems that when I try to authenticate with this machine I get the problem. Am I heading down a reasonable path or is there another way to go? Thanks for all your help.