Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am new to linux. I have just installed ubuntu on my PC. I have been trying to get my modem to work for the past 3 days. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry modem will not dial out

Hi

I am new to linux. I have just installed ubuntu on my PC. I have been trying to get my modem to work for the past 3 days. I managed to install my modem, using scanModem and downloading and installing the appropriate HCF drivers. When I run wvdialconf it detects my modem and configures the wvdial.conf file. I edit this file and place my username, password and ISP number in it. Then when I type sudo wvdial it initializes the modem but it gets stuck waiting for carrier. After about 2 mins it will say no carrier and tries to dial out again. Again it will say no carrier. This continues until I hit Ctr C. If I pick up the phone I dont here the modem dialling out. Strangely if I put a p before the number I dial eg p3452462 and I pick up the phone I can hear the modem dialling out. My line is definitely not a pulse line. Please help

Thanks

personally I normally use kppp (I found that I had more control over it and a handy log window to see what was happening).

Try using minicom to talk directly to your modem (ie. open a text terminal window and (I suggest you use root - ie. enter "su -") enter minicom ).

What you'll need to do is give minicom the /dev device that represents your modem (something like /dev/ttyLT01 , it's the one that's in /etc/wvdial.conf). Do this by pressing Ctrl A (ie. the Ctrl and the A keys at the same time) and then, by itself, Z. This will give you the config menus. You want O then Serial port setup. Change the Serial Device to what it should be (/dev/ something or other). Save this as default.

You then want to get back to minicom's main screen and sart talking to the modem. Typing AT and the enter should get you a OK from the modem. Then try ATZ which should reset the modem and give you an OK as a response. Then try ATDT followed by a phone number followed by enter. You should hear your modem start to dial the number.

Also try AT&v0 and AT&v1.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    Thanks Nerderello. I was just wondering, when I ran scanmodem, the report said that it could be an hcf or hsf modem. I downloaded both sets of drivers but I only installed the hsf driver. Could it be that this driver is causing the Problem. Maybe if I install the hcf driver my modem will dial out. My modem seems to be installed, it resonds to the AT and ATZ commands but not to the last command. If this is the case. how would I uninstall the hsf driver.

Thanks

not sure. If you did a make install , then you can probably do a 'make uninstall' and 'make clean' . If you did an rpm -ihv (or similar) then you can do a rpm -e name (where 'name' can be found by 'rpm -qa | grep "name" ' - where name is something to do with the driver file name).

I'm not convinced that it's a driver problem, as you can get to talk to the modem. Is the cabling okay?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS