Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am using RH linux 9.0. Presently, I have a Netgear USB adapter MA101. I visited the wireless adapter table on www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan-adapters.html and recorded its specs down. Brand: Netgear ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Questions on wireless compatibility with Linux

Hello,
    I am using RH linux 9.0. Presently, I have a Netgear USB adapter MA101. I visited the wireless adapter table on www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan-adapters.html and recorded its specs down.

Brand: Netgear MA101 802.11b
    Chipset: Prism 2/2.5/3
    Linux support user/vendor report: Linux-wlan-ng
    Remarks: recent versions are Atmel-based

I am not so sure if the MA101 works on linux based on the above info. Does it? And what does Linux-wlan-ng mean?

Also, I am using a wireless access point from Creative. Will it work with the netgear MA101 usb adapter ?

If the above products don't work in linux, which vendor's usb/pci adapters and access points work in linux? e.g linksys,Dlink,SMC ?

Please reply quickly if you can.....thanks!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Just as a note, USB adapters are a known problem with linux of several distro's.
    Also, I am using a wireless access point from Creative. Will it work with the netgear MA101 usb adapter ?
    As long as they are both 802.11b they should be fine. 802.11g is problematic at the moment with linux (some kernel issues).
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

Wireless compatibility questions

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. So for wireless adapters, using PCI poses less compatibility problems than USB adapters?

As for access points, as long as the PCI LAN card works in linux, the access point/router will work right?

Btw, if the netgear or linksys websites do not have drivers for USB or PCI adapters, does it mean that their products will not work in linux?

I'm referring to 802.11b products.

Lastly, what does wlan-linux-ng stand for? Is it some sort of compatibility test trademark?

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'm referring to 802.11b products.
    Good thing since 11.b is faster than your Internet connection anyway and is more widely supported.

So for wireless adapters, using PCI poses less compatibility problems than USB adapters?
    Yes, but this is changing over time.

if the netgear or linksys websites do not have drivers for USB or PCI adapters, does it mean that their products will not work in linux?
    For Linksys see http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=26 and http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=25 for your linksys answers.

For Netgear see http://kbserver.netgear.com/query.id...Form=query.htm for your netgear answers.

what does wlan-linux-ng stand for?
    I believe its a driver name but I'm not positive either.

Linux is still not well supported by mfg's but as you can see there is some support available. I a ideal world you would have researched wifi AP and adapter(s) before buying anyting but that's not realistic. i.e. I had mine before I invested linux and wifi. I got stuck with a windows only adapter on my laptop which is dual boot. Oh well that's just the way it goes when your on the cutting edge or sometimes the bleeding edge of technology of Linux today
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"