Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i'm trying to get a little homenetwork running. It contains just two computers. I have my laptop with windows XP home SP2 and I have my older computer with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

remote desktop between fedora & winXP

hello,

i'm trying to get a little homenetwork running. It contains just two computers. I have my laptop with windows XP home SP2 and I have my older computer with a fresh install of fedora4. I want to use the fedora computer for downloading and storing mp3 and movies. I want to control the computer via remote desktop with my windows XP computer. I know it's possible with realVNC. But i don't no of it's possible with windows XP. I have been trying to connect to a VNC server, but it doesn't work. Does some somebody knows how to make a connection with VNC??? already thanx, greetings Patrick

Linux Enthusiast
    Which computer are you trying to use to connect to which computer? Is the one you're trying to connect to running a VNC server?

Vnc server is available for both Windows and Linux. You just download and install it. Then, contact the server machine with the vncviewer or vnc client on the Linux or Windows machine respectively.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    i want to connect to the linux pc. Ik try to run the VNC server on it,but i don't know if what i do is correct,

First, make sure vncserver is installed and running on your Linux machine and TightVNC is installed on the Windows machine. If vncserver isn't running on the Linux box, just do from the command line as regular user...
    Code:
    vncserver
    It will ask for a password. This is the password you will be asked for when contacting this machine from any other computer. Then, from the Windows box, open TightVNC viewer and contact the Linux box. I usually do this just with the IP of the box I'm contacting such as...
    Code:
    192.168.0.5:1
    Once you input the correct password and if your ports are clear for vnc, you should be in business.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Ports blocked?

How do I tell if my vnc ports are blocked?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by newellista
    How do I tell if my vnc ports are blocked?
    Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks anyway.