Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here's what i got... I have a 4 mbs cable connetion and went and bought a router so that i could hook up the womans winders machine to it also, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Routers and Linux

Here's what i got...

I have a 4 mbs cable connetion and went and bought a router so that i could hook up the womans winders machine to it also, to use the internet and leave my computer alone...

I plugged in the cables and all seemed good at first. I can get out and surf the web, etc.. But i run several servers and my eth0 thinks it's address is 192.168.0.100

Also, my bandwidth went to about half the speed it was prior to installing the router (without the winders puter even connected yet) And lag is through the roof...

I cannot be found at that address of course..... How am i to make my linux box be known to the world again using this router? Whats the trick.. I looked in /usd/docs/Linux-HowTos and did not seem to find the answer i was looking for.

I'm sure someone here has their puter networked through a router and has allready figured this out.. Share the knowledge

Linux Guru
    Your router has 2 IP addresses, the External IP Address, provided by your cable provider, and an internal IP address (a 192.168.x.x one). Your router is performing NAT (Network address translation) as 192.168 addresses are private IP addresses, and are not internet routable.

Without getting too technical, you need to setup "Port Forwarding" on your router, which basically says incoming requests on the External interface on TCP/UDP Port xyz should be forwarded to Internal *Computer* IP address 192.168.0.100 which will allow people to continue to access those services provided.

If you want to understand the technical side more, grab yourself a copy of TCP/IP Unleashed or any other good TCP/IP book.

Jason

Linux User
    Ok, at this point i'm so confused i don't even know what just happened....

My cable modem has a ip of 68.111.117.112 Which is correct..
    My Linux box per "ifconfig" says it's eth0 is 68.111.117.101
    Going to "www.whatsmyip.com" says my ip is 68.109.43.46
    Windows computer per "whatismyip.com" says it's IP is the same 68.109.43.46

wtf...

Anyone put me through this in layman terms? As in "Hey dummy, do this...."

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Without getting too technical, you need to setup "Port Forwarding" on your router, which basically says incoming requests on the External interface on TCP/UDP Port xyz should be forwarded to Internal *Computer* IP address 192.168.0.100 which will allow people to continue to access those services provided.
    Unless a firewall is blocking access that should happen by default on most nat routers. i.e 224.334.1.32:6748 (from the router to the net) =192.168.1.3 (from the router to the internal PC).

Or am I missing something?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux User
    Well after 20 striat hours at the computer.... I figured it out. Thanks for the suggestions, i'm going to bed

can we have the answer please.

Linux User
    Just setup the router to allow servers be seen from the outside world....

portallow

Just Joined!
    Ok so you setup the router to allow servers to be seen from the outside with portallow. Which IP address do you give them? The 192.168.x.y for that box?

I went thru every possible command for my router and found no such Port Allow command. So i opened up port 80 to my pc. Now which IP addy do i give out for people to access my webserver?

The ones i know are :
    192.168.x.z = router setup page.
    192.168.x.51 = this box
    192.168.x.y = ip addy for other box etc...
    24.239.147.131 the ip addy for all the computers under the router.

Linux User
    you will have to give the ip address of the machine which is running the webserver.
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html