Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Damn Small Linux, installed to the hard drive, and I have it up and running so that when it boots, the ethernet connection is activated, and the SSH ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ping from Windows to Damn Small Linux works, anything else doesn't

I'm using Damn Small Linux, installed to the hard drive, and I have it up and running so that when it boots, the ethernet connection is activated, and the SSH and samba servers are running. When I ping from my windows machine, it works fine. When I try and use PuTTY to SSH, or access a samba folder, the connection instantly dies, however if I login on the DSL machine, restart the connection with ifup eth0, and logout, SSH and samba folders work fine. I assume there is some way of fixing it so I don't have to touch the DSL machine, and can just use SSH/samba. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Turns out that a ping does eventually die...don't know if that makes a difference.

Just Joined!

Same problem

I had the same problem. It seemed my connection die when I try to login by ssh on another terminal.
    If you are under a DHCP server usualy try writing

ifdown eth0
    ifup eth0

in /opt/bootlocal

and write in /etc/network/interface

auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.102
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1

Value may change for your network.
    For me it works under a DHCP server but I never tried without a DHCP server. Well i fugure the best way to know if it work is to try it.