Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have hd install of knoppix (yes i know i had to because it was the only distro of my debian sarge, ubuntu 5.10 and knoppix that would work with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless lan is connected but no internet?

I have hd install of knoppix (yes i know i had to because it was the only distro of my debian sarge, ubuntu 5.10 and knoppix that would work with ndiswrapper due to a missing kernal source or something) and a belkin wireless PCMCIA card. I used ndiswrapper and wavelan config and kwifimanager, and my card sprang to life and i had a signal (to my ad-hoc network to the windows box) and the wireless was definatly talking to the other computer.

But where do i go from here? i need to configure dhcp somehow, but how do i start the dhcp deamon? what steps should i take from here to ensure i can have wireless internet from the other computer? (i dont care about file-sharing for the moment that is too dang hard).

Jamie.

P.S. I also have windows installed on here and the wireless internet works fine there so the other computer is definatly capable of sending the internet signal accross.

Just Joined!
    bump - got it in debian sarge now but same problem has occured. i have a signal but i cant seem to acctually connect to the network and i dont have internet.

Jamie.

Linux Newbie
    Have you the script which brings up your interface? Assuming you really have managed to connect your computer to wireless network, you may try to run DHCP, with dhcpcd command "/sbin/dhcpcd wlan0" and I use wlan0 as example wifi-interface.
    Another way to try config it is manually set everything. Substitute my example values with yours.

"ifconfig wlan0 up" brings up your interface.
    "ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.1" gives address "192.168.1.1" for your wlan0.
    "ifconfig wlan0 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255" sets the netmask and broadcast of interface.
    "route add default gw 192.168.1.254" adds a default gateway route to kernel's routing table.

Then you might want to ping some host to check connection. With command "ifconfig wlan0" you can see configuration of your wlan0-interface. "iwconfig wlan0" gives also useful information about wifi and access point. Also if you have cable connection working, you can check these values using "ifconfig" and "route". Just only "ifconfig" lists your all network interfaces giving information. "route" without any options lists the routing table of the kernel (shows your gateway).

I hope this helps, even just a bit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    thanks now if i run "dhclient wlan0" it seems to work fine.
    I've made a executable file now that sets up my wireless with all of the commands, and i just run that when i start up my computer.

Is there a way to make it so that it automatically runs this script on startup?

Jamie.

Linux Newbie
    Make an initscript. Copy it to /etc/init.d/ and then make symlink for example /etc/rc3.d/S20wlan -> /etc/init.d/wlan. Then Ubuntu should load (=execute) it at startup, when entering runlevel 3.

Linux Newbie
    Uh, Debian and Ubuntu use same init script system (Ubuntu is Debian based), so it should work also with Debian.

Just Joined!
    How do you create a symlink like that?

Linux Newbie
    Code:
    ln -s <source> <destination>
    for example
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.15 /tmp/linux
    creates link from /tmp/linux to /usr/src/linux-2.6.15 .

You can "fool" programs with this command. You can think it's a kind of "teleport". If you cd to /tmp/linux it looks like you are there (it has same files, directories, etc.), but you really operate at /usr/src/linux-2.6.15. Same way, some linuxes have /bin/sh only symlink to /bin/bash. If you (or some script etc.) execute /bin/sh, you really execute /bin/bash.

Just Joined!
    thanks a lot i have it working now.

Jamie.