Find the answer to your Linux question:
I operate a SuSE 10.0 OSS system on an old Celeron-based machine. I connect to the Internet by means of a SB420 SURFboard cable modem. My ISP is mm.pl. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't Connect With FTP

I operate a SuSE 10.0 OSS system on an old Celeron-based machine.

I connect to the Internet by means of a SB420 SURFboard cable modem. My ISP is mm.pl.

I recently found that I can't estabilish FTP connections. I can't download from Firefox over ftp:// , although the download works perfectly when I change the link manually to http:// . FF gives me "Error 425. Failed to estabilish conection"

Connections with kBear time out and YaST update is only possible, again, if I change the source url from ftp:// to http://

It did work last week. What is the solution to my problem? Where should I start looking? Is the system or my ISP to blame?

Just Joined!
    try pinging a ftp site like ftp.debian.org for example and see what happens.
    you could also try doing
    Code:
    iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 20:21 -j ACCEPT
    in case you moddified some iptables rule to drop outgoing ftp connections.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by marlowe
    try pinging a ftp site like ftp.debian.org for example and see what happens.
    you could also try doing
    Code:
    iptables -I OUTPUT -p tcp --dport 20:21 -j ACCEPT
    in case you moddified some iptables rule to drop outgoing ftp connections.
    Nope, never modified the iptables, it's a clean, fresh install. I'll try to ping the site, thanks. I aalso noticed II'm having trouble with SMTP, so maybe my ISP is to blame? I must try out the machine on a different connection.