Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone know of an up to date list of wireless NICs using the Prism GT chipset?* The only list I know of is at linux-wlan.org , and was last ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Prism GT based wireless NICs

Does anyone know of an up to date list of wireless NICs using the Prism GT chipset?* The only list I know of is at linux-wlan.org, and was last aupdated 2 Feb 2004, so is wrong on some of the cards I've researched (e.g. Hawking HWP54G now uses Ralink, according to Hawking's own product managers). I've also googled for each one of the Prism GT-based cards they list, and found nothing useful (except on searches for the Hawking card...)

Even better than an up to date list of cards would be links to somewhere I could buy an appropriate card (hopefully relatively cheaply). Please bear in mind tho that I'm in the UK, so cant use newegg and some others : -(

Thanks for looking at this
    Toodle-oo
    Giles

*I've spent too many hours not managing to get other cards working to use anything other than the best supported...
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

you could try belkin cards or linksys. bought both from pcworld (yes i know, not the best of places) very cheap. got the linksys for £15 & the belkin for £23.99. the linksys worked out of the box, just had to configure it for my router & the belkin worked with ndiswrapper

have a look here for ralink http://ralink.rapla.net/ last updated 06/03/2006

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Thanks deltaflyer:
    That linksys card that worked out of the box is certainly interesting: according to the list I mentioned earlier, a lot of linksys cards use Prism 2/2.5/3, which would work easily, but doesnt support 802.11g (only goes to 802.11b, which is slower). However, if there is a linksys that uses Prism GT it could be my savour. If you could find out I'd be very greatful - if you're not sure which chipset is on it, you can run
    Code:
    lspci
    and that'll include a line something like
    Code:
    00:10.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)
    (sorry if you knew that already, I don't want to sound patronising)

As far as the belkin card goes, I've got cards to run with ndiswrapper before, but never to the same level as those that work naturally (I've had especial difficulty with putting any sort of encyption on my network).

Thanks very much for your help
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close