Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get X apps running on my windows machine, to open the display remotely on my SuSE laptop. I understand that typically people use cygwin to open local ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Remote X apps served from cygwin

I'm trying to get X apps running on my windows machine, to open the display remotely on my SuSE laptop. I understand that typically people use cygwin to open local displays from a linux X server, and going in that direction works fine for me. I'm trying to get apps to open in the other direction as well. Does this make sense?

Basically what I'm trying to do, is get MPlayer, which I have running under cygwin on my Windows desktop, to export the display to my linux laptop so I can control my music (better speakers on the desktop), while working on my laptop.

I can ssh -X to my windows machine, but then it tells me that it can't open the display and that DISPLAY is not set. Here's the whole output:

Code:
    sean@Iago:~> ssh -X Sean\ Colgan@192.168.1.253
    Sean Colgan@192.168.1.253's password:
    Last login: Sat Mar 18 15:31:04 2006 from iago

Sean Colgan@annie ~
    $ xterm
    xterm Xt error: Can't open display:
    xterm:  DISPLAY is not set
    I've also tried doing 'xhost +' and 'export DISPLAY=mylocalIP' and it doesn't work either.

I've set 'X11Forwarding' to yes in sshd_config. What about 'X11UseLocalhost'? What does that do? The man page is a bit confusing.

I'd appreciate any ideas/advice. Thanks in advance.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Linux Enthusiast
    did you restart the SSH server after you changed its config?

yes, this is even after a full reboot.

Is there a way of checking the config status of the sshd server. Just to make sure it's reading settings from the file I adjusted?
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?