Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a linux firewall and I am a newbie to it. I also have a domino1 server for my mail. anyways I dont recieve any email from the outside ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need Help Please Asap Linux Firewall

I have a linux firewall and I am a newbie to it. I also have a domino1 server for my mail. anyways I dont recieve any email from the outside of my network. The message coming back to the people that try to send is

Remote host said: 450 <123@123>: User unknown in local recipient table
    Despite repeated attempts, this message could not be delivered.

Can someone please help me I am in desperate need. Thanks!!

By the way inside the network mail on this user works fine. I am using red hat linux 9. thanks
    Last edited by loft306; 03-24-2006 at 08:55 PM.

Linux User
    That would be the message the mail server replies with if an email is sent to a user that does not exist on teh system .

say I have the four following users on my mail server @somedomain.com

postmaster
    abuse
    tom
    jerry

if you send a message to sally@somedomain.com the mail server would receive the message, look at the user list, determine there is no user sally and reply.. User unknown in local recipient table

if they are sending to a valid username, then you have a mail server configuration issue.. you need to check your config files to ensure that the users exist, that mail can be accepted from an external source, and that it can accept mail for YOUR domain only.
    far...out

Just Joined!
    Yeah that what my problem is the user is not in the linux box so that why I need to know how to add it so it reconizes the user so the mail will go through thanks..

Linux User
    With the way my system is configured I just add a user.. and set their shell to /bin/false or /sbin/nologin since mail users don't log in locally to the mail server.

adduser --shell /sbin/nologin sally

alternately if it's an alias you need to add the alias to the list and tell it what legitimate mail account ot forward messages to..

sales -> sally

so all messages for sales@somedomain.com would be forwarded to
    sally@somedomain.com automatically. aliases are a different topic but I thought I would mention it.
    far...out