Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have 2 XP machines and a Linux box running Suse 10 connected with a Netgear DG814 wired modem/router. All three could ping each other and access the net without ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can no longer access Internet

I have 2 XP machines and a Linux box running Suse 10 connected with a Netgear DG814 wired modem/router. All three could ping each other and access the net without problem.

I decided to fit a TV card to the Linux machine but I wasn't able to configure it properly and as I was in a hurry I took it out so the Linux box was powered up and down twice.

All three PCs are still able to ping each other and the XP machines can access the net but the Linx machine can't - I get a "page could not be found" error. the strange thing is I seem to be able to access my friends ftp site using kbear OK and have been able to download a file.

I ran YOU at some point yesterday but I can't remember whether it was before or after the TV card interlude.

Any help wwould be much appreciated.

Regards

Nosher

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosher
    the strange thing is I seem to be able to access my friends ftp site using kbear OK and have been able to download a file.
    You may be able to access your friend's site if you connect to an IP address, not the hostname (see how kbear is configured). Also, try to ping some website from Windows, then copy the IP address from which it replies to your browser in Linux and see if it loads the page that way. If it does, then you may want to check your DNS settings.

Smile Problem Solved!

Hi pavlo_7,

You were quite right I could access a website by entering its IP address rather than the site name into the browser.

I started YAST and selected the DNS Server config section but I have to be honest I'm not 100% sure what I'm actually doing and couldn't see anything that looked to be causing a problem.

However a quick Google search found someone describing a problem where installing various packages (Apache, PHP and MySQL) had wiped his resolv.conf file which meant he was "off the net"

Checking my resolv.conf file showed the nameserver as having the IP that my router had given to one of the XP machines. Changing this to the IP of the router seemd to solve the problem!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Best Regards

Nosher

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosher
    Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
    You are welcome!
    I'm glad it worked for you.