Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
are you really sure you did the ndiswrapper -m step as well as the modprobe ndiswrapper step? Also, are you running on a 64-bit processor with a 64-bit OS?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

are you really sure you did the ndiswrapper -m step as well as the modprobe ndiswrapper step?

Also, are you running on a 64-bit processor with a 64-bit OS?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    I'm fairly sure I typed "ndiswrapper -m" and "modprobe ndiswrapper." When I typed ndiswrapper -m, it told me that an alias already existed (I had performed this step before). When I typed modprobe ndiswrapper, it didn't say anything at all. Because my computer has a Pentium III, it probably isn't 64-bit. I think SuSE 64-bit only comes on a DVD so I don't think I accidentally downloaded the 64-bit version.

ok then, that is really strange. Can you post back what this command returns?
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ndiswrapper

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I tried typing that and it returned a lot of messages. One of them said, "ndiswrapper: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag."

I also tried uninstalling the ndiswrapper version I installed from source and installing the one provided in SUSE. However, when I tried to "modprobe ndiswrapper" it said, something about being unable to find the ndiswrapper module. Since it didn't work, I unstalled that and now, again, have the version (1.11) that I built from the source.

now what happens when you try to use ndiswrapper?

also, post back what dmesg | grep ndiswrapper returns. You can save the stuff to a text file or something, then copy+paste it here.

Unhappy Similar, if not the same, problem

Hi folks,

I seem to be having the same problem.

SuSe 10
    WUSB11 v4

Much of my initial problems were caused by the current SuSe 10 version of ndiswrapper being way out of date. Simple fix - download and update to current version of ndiswrapper.

Then ndiswrapper seems to load fine and find the h/w properly.

My wireless config is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK and I have used YaST to config it to date. I did try iwconfig with the s: passphrase option, however that fails utterly.

One to the next problem - the same as above thinks I, especially in light of the machine hanging and requiring a hard power off.

The dmesg results are as follows:

myhost:~ # dmesg | grep ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
    ndiswrapper version 1.17 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
    ndiswrapper: driver wusb11v4 (Cisco-Linksys LLC.,05/13/2004, 3.110.0513.2004) loaded
    wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:0f:66:f0:2d:92 using driver wusb11v4, 13B1:000B.F.conf
    ndiswrapper (set_encr_mode:683): setting encryption status failed (C00000BB)
    usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper (set_auth_mode:653): setting auth mode to 7 failed (C0010015)
    ndiswrapper (iw_set_ap_address:640): setting AP mac address failed (C0000001)

Anybody able to offer help?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I don't know the answer - but I have just the same problem.
    Ok. I'm using Ubuntu with ndiswrapper - but the symptoms and the messages are the same.

So I reckon that whoever figures out a solution first can let the other one in on the secret, yes?

Howard

Still pulling my hair out over this

... albeit strand by strand as I don't get much time, but of course I'll update the thread if I work it out

Lightbulb Success - WUSB11v4 on SuSE with ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant for WPA-PSK

After my last post it has taken me some time to get back to this and solve the problem. Since I last looked at it I have upgraded to SuSE 10.1 so there will be some differences for those of you running older versions; none that cause any problems I hope.
    Here is what I did to make mine work on SuSE 10.1.

Application Versions:-
    need latest WUSB11v4 WinXP drivers from Linksys
    ndiswrapper=
    utils version: 1.8
    driver version: 1.23
    vermagic: 2.6.13.4-default 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1
    Note: I tried version 1.25 (with utils 1.9) and this detected a driver conflict when I installed the wusb11v4 driver later on. If you get troubles then I suggest you use version 1.23 as I have done.
    untar the ndiswrapper tar file
    cd to the new ndiswrapper directory
    follow the INSTALL instructions (i.e. make uninstall (note that ndiswrapper is an optional s/w package in the SuSE 10.1 installation so if you haven't installed it this will probably let you know and you can proceed straight to the next command), make, and then make install)
    All should be well if you have the right prerequisites, etc
    wpa_supplicant=v0.4.8
    This is the version that ships with SuSE 10.1 and works so I haven't upgraded it to 0.4.9.

Install the Linksys WUSB11v4 driver with ndiswrapper
    unzip/extract the driver files and copy them to your SuSE machine) - all you need is the Drivers directory
    using a terminal window log in as root and do the following:
    change directory to the place you copied the Driver files
    ndiswrapper -i ./WUSB11v4.inf
    this should return no errors
    ndiswrapper -l
    this should return:
    installed drivers:
    wusb11v4 driver installed, hardware present
    ndiswrapper -m
    this should return no errors

Create wpa_supplicant.conf file in /etc
    contents of wpa_supplicant.conf is:-

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
    ctrl_interface_group=0
    ap_scan=2
    #eapol_version=2
    eapol_version=1
    fast_reauth=1
    network={
    ssid="WhateverYourWirelessIDis"
    proto=WPA
    key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    pairwise=TKIP
    group=TKIP
    #psk="mydoghasnonose"
    psk=0hexbmorehex6d1andmorehex1etcetcetc
    }

the value of psk will need to be modified according to the output of:
    wpa_passphrase <ssidName> <whateverYourPassphraseis>
    The use of a hex psk will speed up association.

Create template network config files using YaST (start YaST, use Network Devices/Network Card) and opt to use 'Traditional Method with ifup'
    To simplify the process, I removed any other existing interface config; in my case eth0. Save and Finish.
    Restart the Network Devices/Network Card YaST applet again using 'Traditional Method'
    'Add' a new interface as follows:
    Device Type: Wireless
    Module Name: ndiswrapper
    USB check box: checked (do this last on this page)
    ignore the other settings
    click next
    I next chose static IP address setup and put in my internal IP and subnet mask (192.168.1.etc 255.255.255.etc)
    click the hostname and name server button and put in your nameservers - I use the public ones provided by my ISP.
    click OK
    click the Routing config button
    enter your default gateway IP address. This is most likely your ADSL modem/router IP address if it is on the same network (e.g. 192.168.0.1), otherwise it is the IP address of the device that routes the traffic from your wireless network address to your ADSL network address (e.g. 192.168.1.1 wireless router routing to 192.168.0.1 ADSL router routing to the internet)
    the other fields should be unchecked and unconfigured
    click OK
    click next to go to the Wireless n/w card config page
    set it up as follows (this is all going to be redundant in any case as we will point the config at out wpa_supplicant.conf file later on instead):
    Operating mode: managed
    Network Name (ESSID): WhateverYourWirelessNameIs
    Authentication Mode: WPA-PSK
    Key Input type: (Hexadecimal)
    Encryption Key: Paste your Hex key (generated by wpa_passphrase earlier) into this field
    I then turned OFF the power management in the 'Expert Settings' section
    click Next
    click next to save the new config

Now we will modify by hand the network config files
    using a terminal session log in as root and cd to /etc/sysconfig/network
    you will see your new file named ifcfg-wlan-bus-usb
    edit this file using a text editor (I find vi quick and easy to use but then, perhaps, I am a dinosaur)
    modify the file to look like this:
    BOOTPROTO='static'
    BROADCAST=''
    ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
    IPADDR='put your chosen static IP here for this machine e.g. 192.168.0.2'
    MTU=''
    NAME='Linksys WUSB11v4 Wireless USB'
    NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
    NETWORK=''
    REMOTE_IPADDR=''
    STARTMODE='auto'
    USERCONTROL='no'
    WIRELESS_AP=''
    WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
    WIRELESS_WPA_PROTO='WPA2'
    WIRELESS_SCAN_MODE='2'
    WIRELESS_WPA_CONF='/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'
    WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
    WIRELESS_CHANNEL='9'
    WIRELESS_ESSID='Gnome'
    WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
    WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
    WIRELESS_CIPHER_PAIRWISE='TKIP'
    WIRELESS_CIPHER_GROUP='TKIP'
    WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
    WIRELESS_POWER='no'
    WIRELESS_WPA_IDENTITY=''
    WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='0hexbmorehex6d1andmorehex1etcetc etc'
    _nm_name='static-0'

(note: each configuration item should be on a new line).

I think many of the above entries are made redundant by the wpa_supplicant.conf file, however I am not going to mess about with it right now.

once you have done this you should be set to start the services.

Firstly I made sure all the services were stopped:
    /etc/init.d/network stop
    ps -rf | grep wpa
    you should see no wpa_supplicant service running but if you do it needs to be stopped - use wpa_cli and issue the terminate command or if all else fails killproc wpa_supplicant

Now start the services:
    /etc/init.d/network start
    and you should get some good messages like:
    Setting up network interfaces:
    lo
    lo IP address: 127.0.0.1/8 done
    eth0 device: Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VM (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 81)
    No configuration found for eth0 unused
    wlan0
    wlan0 configuration: wlan-bus-usb
    wlan0 starting wpa_supplicant
    wlan0 IP address: 192.168.0.2/24 done
    Setting up service network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . done
    SuSEfirewall2: Warning: ip6tables does not support state matching. Extended IPv6 support disabled.
    SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...
    SuSEfirewall2: batch committing...
    SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set

and you're away!

Hope this 'recipe' works for all you wusb11b4 SuSE frustrated folks. I can't believe how fiddly and error prone this whole thing was to set up. Curses on Linksys for thinking that Microsoft is the only desktop OS manufacturer.

References:
    http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Wpa_supplicant
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wpa_supplicant
    http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3687730057.html
    sourceforge for ndiswrapper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2