Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just recently installed SUSE Linux and I am having trouble setting up my wireless card. When I first installed SUSE Linux, it detected my wireless card (WUSB11 version 2.6 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linksys WUSB11 on SUSE Linux

I just recently installed SUSE Linux and I am having trouble setting up my wireless card. When I first installed SUSE Linux, it detected my wireless card (WUSB11 version 2.6 from Linksys). I set up the card and supplied my WEP key but when it tried to test its connection to the internet, it failed.

I tried reinstalling SUSE Linux without plugging the wireless card in and instead using ndiswrapper. I downloaded ndiswrapper 1.11 and followed the instructions. Everything worked as the instructions said it would until the part where I needed to type "iwconfig." It printed out 3 things, lo, sit0, eth0 (which I assume stands for ethernet which is weird since I don't have any ethernet ports on my computer.), and next to all three of them it said, "no wireless extensions."

I installed the driver for my card from its cd (NETUSB.INF).

When I type "ndiswrapper -l," it prints out the driver and says next to it, "driver installed, hardware present."

I cannot get to any internet pages or perform any upgrades which is how I know that my wireless card isn't functioning properly. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Linux Newbie
    Have you gone into Yast after installing the driver and setting up all of your settings? Note that when you are setting things in Yast, use the ndiswrapper module

Just Joined!
    I did use YaST to set up the card. I clicked "Add," changed from "Ethernet" to "Wireless," supplied "ndiswrapper" for the module name, and entered my WEP key.

My wireless card was also listed under Network Card and I set that up too.

what does iwconfig return? (run it as root).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Running iwconfig as a super user returns lo, sit0, and eth0. For each of these it says, "no wireless extensions." to the right.

Linux Newbie
    I haven't used Yast in awhile, but is there an option for USB or wireless USB?

ok then, you said that you installed the driver with ndiswrapper right, and it says driver present/hardware present. if so, do the following as root:
    Code:
    ndiswrapper -m
    modprobe ndiswrapper
    iwconfig

then follow aimstolemylife, 1st post and enter the details in yast.

Just Joined!
    I tried what you suggested but the results from iwconfig were the same. When configuring in YaST, I supplied "Wireless" instead of "USB" since supplying "USB" prevents me from entering "ndiswrapper" as the module name.

I checked my startup log and it said that it failed setting up wlan0 because the "interface could not be set up."

ok, what does ndiswrapper -l return? it is lowercase "L" and not 1 or I

Just Joined!
    ndiswrapper -l returns netusb driver installed, hardware present.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast