Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running largely peer to peer Windows XP network at work and SuSE 10.0 at home. I am familiar with most network set up configurations for a single LAN, including Samba ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to browse office LAN remotely from home?

Running largely peer to peer Windows XP network at work and SuSE 10.0 at home. I am familiar with most network set up configurations for a single LAN, including Samba running on the SuSE machine. I have a networked windows box at home too. Can anyone point me to some assistance? I want to be able to browse the work LAN remotely from home. I believe I may have to set up a VPN, but I have no experience at all of this. Both sites are on ADSL through broadband firewall routers, Linksys at work and 3Com at home. Both sites have static public IP addresses.

The Admin application (Web based usually) for your firewall router probably has a VPN section allowing you to setup a VPN connection from home.

If not, the Admin application should allow you to open a hole in your firewall to allow your home network in. Be careful with this to only open the minimal hole needed.

Do you have a linux box at work, or only at home? If you also have a Linux box at work, that opens up other options.

Linux User
    Your router at work is the only one you need to be concerned about, unless you want to connect to your home PC from work. What you need is the exact model # on the Linksys router that you have at work and then read the User Guide to see if the router that you have has the ability to offer vpn service. You can find the user guide by going to linksys.com then choosing “support” and “downloads” and then giving the model # and picking user guide. Read that to see if your router can support VPN.h

Just be aware that most (if not all) consumer oriented products will not have vpn capabilities built in.

Do some research on google on “setting up a small business vpn” or "setting up a small business vpn with linux" to see what you are going to need to get started. Once you have a better idea of what you have and what you might need, you can give more specific questions and get better ideas of how to proceed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Take a look at these two projects..

SSLExplorer
    http://www.sslexplorer.com/showSslExplorer.do

OpenVPN
    http://openvpn.net/
    far...out