Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently switched over completely to linux (Kubuntu AMD64) and seem to be having some trouble getting torrents to work. Before when I was using XP I used Azureus for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

torrents not working

I recently switched over completely to linux (Kubuntu AMD64) and seem to be having some trouble getting torrents to work. Before when I was using XP I used Azureus for all my torrent needs and loved the program, being written in Java I was happy to know that when I switched to linux I could still use the same program. The program installs fine, it loads torrents fine, gets information etc, but just will not download.

When I try and open a torrent it loads it, I'm asked where to save, and then the torrent loads, the green face appears as it should as if everything is working, but my down/up speeds stay at 0, and therefore nothing downloads. NAT is ok, I have ports forwarded from my router, and all settings are the same as they were in XP, so nothing as really changed except linux.

I have tried 3 other torrent programs and recieved the same result. I need my torrents! haha, I'm on the verge of just setting up a seperate box on my network running XP that is my P2P box, but I shouldnt have to cause I know torrents should work in linux haha. could it be that I'm using AMD64 version of linux?

I have broadband internet connection, being a box running IPCOP as my router.

Maybe the firewall is blocking the torrents.

I really don't know how to configure the firewall in Kurumin, since I use Suse, but it should be easy to find and configure it.

Just Joined!
    does kubuntu come with a firewall? i didnt think it did, I've googled but couldnt find anywhere that it comes with one.

as far as IPCOP blocking the torrents, the correct ports are forwarded, and it worked fine within XP, and XP was behind IPCOP.

Quote Originally Posted by nbeach
    When I try and open a torrent it loads it, I'm asked where to save, and then the torrent loads, the green face appears as it should as if everything is working, but my down/up speeds stay at 0, and therefore nothing downloads. NAT is ok, I have ports forwarded from my router, and all settings are the same as they were in XP, so nothing as really changed except linux.
    Had the exact same problem with Debian Etch.

I just started using the static compiled Azureus from the sourceforce.net site instead of the Debian packaged version, which rely on a free version of Java.

So Azureus from Azureus site (sourceforge.net) and Java from Sun (java.sun.com).

P.S. To install Sun's java:
    1) Download "jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-amd64.bin" from
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp
    "Download JDK 5.0 Update 6"
    2) Install it:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot make-jpkg
    fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-amd64.bin
    sudo dpkg -i sun-j2re1.5_1.5.0+update06_amd64.deb
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    that solved the problem. thanks man!