Find the answer to your Linux question:
my goal was getting a media server setup, that I can have all my videos, movies, music, pictures, etc on, that any computer on my network can access and play ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nfs problems

my goal was getting a media server setup, that I can have all my videos, movies, music, pictures, etc on, that any computer on my network can access and play the files over the network, that way I dont have to have the files locally and take up harddrive space on each system. I'm trying to mount the network drive on each client system using nfs.

the majority of the files that I'm going to move over are on my main system, which is running the 64bit edition of kubuntu. the box that I'm making the media server is running a server installation of ubuntu (no gui, base packages, etc).

on both boxes I have nfs-kernel-server and portmap packages installed.

on the server box I have edit the /etc/exports file to look like this:

Code:
    noah@scarlett:~$ more /etc/exports
    # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
    #               to NFS clients.  See exports(5).
    /home/noah/media 192.168.1.103(rw)
    (right now I'm only trying to get my main box (192.168.1.103) to be able to mount, I'm aware that I will need to change it to allow all the boxes on my LAN to be able to mount the drive)

I have edit my /etc/fstab on the client box to look like this:

Code:
    noah@lindsay:~$ more /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/sda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,nouser 0
    /dev/sda5 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto ,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid,user 0 0
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/storage ext3 ,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid,nouser 0 0
    /dev/sdc /mnt/usb vfat ,uid=1000,gid=0,noauto,rw,nouser 0 0
    192.168.1.110:/home/noah/media    /mnt/media   nfs  rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
    I can then mount the drive as is shown here:

Code:
    noah@lindsay:~$ sudo mount -a
    Password:
    noah@lindsay:~$ mount
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
    proc on /proc type proc (rw)
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
    tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-amd64-generic/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
    /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/storage type ext3 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
    tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)
    192.168.1.110:/home/noah/media on /mnt/media type nfs (rw,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,timeo=14,intr,addr=192.168.1.110)
    I can now access the drive, make directories, delete directories, etc. Where I see a problem is when I try and copy a file (whether through konsole or through konqueror) it seems as if the mounted drive locks up. when trying to copy with cp in konsole it just sits there acting like its copying, and when I try and copy through konqueror the file goes to 100% extremely fast, then the speed goes to "stalled" and then it just sits at 100%.

after I try to copy (whether through konsole or konqueror) and it is sitting there stalled, I can no longer cd into my /mnt directory (the nfs drive is mounted at /mnt/media), but I can type in the full extention of my local harddrive mounted at /mnt/storage and access it fine, but if i try to go to just /mnt it stalls and never displays.

in order to gain access back to the mounted drive I have to reboot the client side (the server side still seems to remain functional), on which the drive is remounted and I can then navigate through the drive, make directories, and remove directories again, but if I try and copy a file, the same thing happens. any ideas?

You might want to check the permissions on the drives you're trying to copy to. You can create all kinds of problems for yourself using NFS is the user IDs on the server and client dont match. If you, for instance, used 501 for you own user name (see in /etc/passwd) on the server, but 502 on the client, but with the same username, you could find you dont have permissions on the client to write to a directory created on the server.

Also check that you've restarted the nfs server process after making changes to the /etc/exports file, do the same at the client (re-mount) if you've changed /etc/fstab.

On my nfs server, I use the following kind of entries in /etc/exports and I have no problems:

Code:
    /home      192.168.1.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
    I hope something in that helps.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!

Unhappy how to configure for nfs users

I have ubuntu installed on my desktop. How can I configure it to validate the users defined on nfs? I tried lot of things but no luck.

You need to ensure that all the UID/GID pairs for your users match on the server and on the client. The normal way is to have account authentication provided in one place - normally on the server.

There are several mechanisms; I use Fedora Directory Server to provide single network accounts for each user that applies to both Windows logons (using a Samba Domain with LDAP backend) and linux logons (using LDAP).

You could also try authenticating using OpenLDAP, or even just installing the old and reasonably insecure NIS/YP system to provide lan-wide password authentication.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/