Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed linux kernel 2.6.15 to ensure perfect compatibility with the Iptables layer 7 match. After a lot of changes to the .config file and calls to make gconfig ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Just Installed Kernel 2.6.15 Network Drivers Problem

I just installed linux kernel 2.6.15 to ensure perfect compatibility with the Iptables layer 7 match. After a lot of changes to the .config file and calls to make gconfig I finally got a succesfully boot with the 2.6.15 kernel. However, the only issue is that I can't get any of my network cards to work under the newly compiled kernel. I have three different network cards:

Elitegroup SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
    Kingston LNE100TX
    3Com 3C905C-TX

I have the drivers for all three of these cards working under 2.6.149 but strangely not on the very next version up. I have the older kernel running right now, is there a way i can extract the drivers from the kernel and get them to work with the newly compiled kernel or something similar? Or is there some patches to the newer kernel so it can support the network cards? If i only get two out of the three network cards working that is fine because I'm only using two of them on my iptables configuration.

Any help would be appreciated,
    mikfig

Did you compile the 2.6.15 kernel? If so, did you compile in support for your network cards? Did you make them modules or did you build it right into the kernel?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Engineer
    Also, did you remember to copy over the kernel and initrd to your /boot partition and update your grub compile. If you compiled them as modules it may be as simple as modprobing the drivers.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile

I had overlooked two of the drivers from the NIC cards and yes i did compile the 2.6.15 kernel.
    I am compiling it again however with the correct(i hope) nic drivers put in the .config file so I just hope I can get my iptables firewall up and running again.

Thx for your help,
    Mikfig

Quote Originally Posted by mikfig
    Elitegroup SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet
    Kingston LNE100TX
    3Com 3C905C-TX

For the 3Com 3C905C-TX, in the kernel config:
    Code:
    Device Drivers  --->
    Network device support  --->
    Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)  --->[*] Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)[*] 3COM cards
    <M>   3c590/3c900 series (592/595/597) "Vortex/Boomerang" support
    As of the the others, just look which chipset they are using and enable them in the kernel, if avalaible.

Certainly for the 3com you don't need do to anything special.

The "Kingston LNE100TX" is a Tulip family card, so you can enable it in the kernel as well. Just enable all the Tulip modules in Ethernet section, and then:
    Code:
    Loadable module support  --->[*]   Automatic kernel module loading
    Plus, did you take your 2.6.14 config as a base for the 2.6.15? It's the simplest way to do it.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thx for the help,
    I got it to work now