Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just installed ubuntu on a slightly older machine with a ralink 2500 network card in it. ubuntu seems to have picked it up and installed it and i when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ralink 2500 - installed, found network - yet no web access

I've just installed ubuntu on a slightly older machine with a ralink 2500 network card in it.

ubuntu seems to have picked it up and installed it and i when i did;

ifconfig ra0 up
    iwlist ra0 scanning

it found my network.

i was unable to do dhcpd ra0 though as this command isn't found.

i went ahead to do

iwconfig ra0 key <<key>>

and it still doesnt work.

what am i doing wrong?

ps what would i have to do different for a rtl8180 chipset. would ubuntu pick this up?

Quote Originally Posted by johnmcp
    i was unable to do dhcpd ra0 though as this command isn't found.
    Do you mean dhcpcd (note the extra c), because I believe that's the command you'd have wanted. If you actually did try dhcpcd, were you logged in as root at the time? It's quite common for that command to only be available to root.
    If you tried dhcpcd as root and it couldn't be found then it means that dhcpcd isnt installed. You can then chose to install it (how you'd best do that depends on your distro), or try dhclient, which is a fairly common alternative so might be installed on your box already.

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Thanks Giles,

unfortunately I can't get dhcpcd installed as I apparently don't have gcc on Ubuntu

I'm going to retry with a different distribution, probably Scientific Linux as I know this definitely meets my needs. However I might not get back to it for a wee while as I have exams

John

Good luck then - hope it's a little easier with scientific (I hadn't heard about that distro before. learn something new everyday )

Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027