Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Newb Alert! This is a new RH9 install. I cannot get out to surf the Net. My connection to the internet is through a router to a cable modem. Connection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot activate eth0 using RH9

Newb Alert!

This is a new RH9 install. I cannot get out to surf the Net. My connection to the internet is through a router to a cable modem. Connection is setup to use DHCP.

I have tried to activate my ethernet connection under Network Configuration and have received an error message stating:

"Determining IP information for eth0... iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
    failed
    iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)"

I checked iptables under root and get the following:

iptables -L INPUT :

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
    target prot opt source destination
    RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere

iptables -L OUTPUT:

Chain OUTUT (policy ACCEPT)

iptables -L FORWARD:

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
    RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT all -- anywhere anywhere

What am I missing here? If I need to furnish more info, please let me know. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

flw
    Linux Engineer
    When you start your computer and see the various services being listed as they are activated, what do you see with eth0 comes up?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    When I booted up. I chose (I)nteractive bootup so I could acknowledge each step.

When I get to the "Bringing up interface eth0" step I get the message:

Determining IP information for eth0... iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
    failed
    iptables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

...Same as I got in the Network Configurator

Any clues?

Linux User
    In the Network Configuration tool are you sure that the correct NIC is being selected?

When I installed RH9 the install was correct in picking and loading working drivers for everything but the NIC. I can't remember what it was picking, but it wasn't the 3c905X (it was close, a 3Com at least) that's in the machine. It did such a good job on everything else that it kind of messed with my mind for a little while.

Just Joined!
    This is long...

Well... I am using a new mobo and it has an integrated LAN on it. It turns out that it is a Realtek 8101 chip. I went to RedHat's Hardware Comp. List and did not find it.

So, I disabled the onboard LAN and went with my other NIC which s a PCI card with a Realtek 8139 chip.

I went back and removed all ethernet devices using Network Configuration tool and rebooted. I get an opportunity to access the Realtek Boot Agent. The Boot Agent Configuarion Menu asks for Network Boot Protocol: PXE or RPL. I chose PXE. Next it wants a Boot Order: I chose ROM Disable (Network boot disabled, boot local devices).

In the boot process, it does not find any new hardware, then it starts all services. Bringing up interface eth0 is NOT in the list of services brought up.

I login and proceed to Network Configuration tool to Create a New Ethernet connection. I choose the RealTek RTL-8139 Card, use DHCP settings, and Apply. I then Save the file and reboot again.

This time as services are being brought up, it tries to bring up interface eth0 and it fails (the error message is the same as in the very first post of this thread).

Next thing I tried was to change Secuirty Settings and I got DIFFERENT RESULTS:

I chose Security Level - No Firewall and now when bringing up interface eth0, the error message is: "Determining IP information for eth0... failed"

Seems like this error is a lot less severe, yet I still don't know whats going on.

Does all this give anybody some clues as to whats hanging me up?

Just Joined!
    For a continuation in the saga...

To give you a little glimpse of my environment:

My RH9 machine is connected to Port 1 of a hub.
    I have a Win XP Pro machine on Port 2 of the same hub.
    The hub is connected to Port 1 of a Router.
    Ports 2 and 3 of the router are connected to a Win XP Home machine and a Win Me machine.
    The Linksys (BEFW11S4) router is connected to a cable modem.

The router is setup as a DHCP server starting at 192.168.1.100.

All Windows machines use DHCP and get out on the internet everyday with no problems.

If I setup my RH9 machine to use DHCP I get all the problems in the previous posts of this discussion.

HOWEVER, if I change my settings for my NIC in the RH9 machine to a static IP (192.168.1.150) within the range of the router (192.168.1.1), then my RH9 machine boots up just fine and does not fail the bringing up of the eth0.

I can ping from RH9 machine to my Win XP Pro machine (192.168.1.143) which share the same hub (and vice versa).

I can ping from my Win XP Pro machine to the other PCs and the router itself.

I CANNOT ping from my RH9 machine to the other PCs (192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.103) connected to the router. None of the other PCs can ping my RH9 machine.

I CANNOT ping the router (192.168.1.1) from my RH9 machine.

Does this help turn on any lightbulbs for anyone?

Linux User
    so basically you can ping only those machines which are connected on the same hub, but cannot ping any of the other machines right??

what happens if you do
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 down
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 up
    also what does
    #netstat -r show?
    does it display a default gateway?
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Just Joined!
    thanx nikhil for the reply...

so basically you can ping only those machines which are connected on the same hub, but cannot ping any of the other machines right??
    Yes this is right

Per your request:

here is what I get when the IP address is set static at 192.168.1.150:

logged in as root

bash: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0: Permission denied

for the netsat -r, I get:
    Code:
    Destination  Gateway  Genmask         Flags  MSS  Window  irtt Iface
    192.168.1.0  *        255.255.255.0   U        0  0          0 eth0
    169.254.0.0  *        255.255.0.0     U        0  0          0 eth0
    127.0.0.0    *        255.0.0.0       U        0  0          0 lo

When I change eth0 to use DHCP this is what I get:

for the netsat -r, I get:

Code:
    Destination  Gateway  Genmask         Flags  MSS  Window  irtt Iface
    169.254.0.0  *        255.255.0.0     U        0  0          0 lo
    127.0.0.0    *        255.0.0.0       U        0  0          0 lo

Linux Guru
    Well, the answer to why it doesn't work is easy from that data: you haven't set any gateway. If you want to use a static IP address, add GATEWAY="1.2.3.4" to /etc/sysconfig/network, where 1.2.3.4 should be the IP address of your router. Then restart the network service with "service network restart".

Linux User
    wats your default gateway? as dolda said use your routers address and add it using route add....then hopefully things should work....
    by the way are you sure you did a ifcfg-the0 up/down as root...why
    did it give you permission denied??
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast