Find the answer to your Linux question:
Total Linux newbie here, just upgraded from XP over the weekend. Here's the scenario: This computer, Mandriva 2006 Power Pack 2nd PC, Dell XP box "Server", Dell 2K Advanced Server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Newbie question

Total Linux newbie here, just upgraded from XP over the weekend. Here's the scenario:

This computer, Mandriva 2006 Power Pack
    2nd PC, Dell XP box
    "Server", Dell 2K Advanced Server

Sharing cable connection with Linksys router/firewall, DHCP enabled.

Before, when everything was XP/2K, all 3 computers talked just fine in the same workgroup. I didn't have 2K configured for a domain. What's the best way to browse the shares on the 2K box? Can someone give me directions that I can understand and learn from?

Much appreciated!

Jay, the newly reformed one.

I don't have a Mandriva specific answer, but I've found that the easiest thing to do is to use a program called "smb4k" on the Linux box. This lets you browse the network neighborhood like in Windows. Thus, your Linux box can access shared folders on the Windows computers.

Setting things up to go the other way around is more complex (so that the Windows computers can access shared files on the Linux box). To find out how the Linux box can be a file server, look for references/FAQs about "samba".
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help! I'll download smb4k right away. Not worried about sharing things on the linux box...all the stuff that's shared is on the 2K box.

Jay

Just Joined!
    Tried installing the newest SMB4K, it wouldn't work... Successfully saw the 2K server with LinNeighborhood, but that disappeared when I restarted.

Found out I have a slightly older SMB4K, but it won't pull up anything.

Both linneighborhood and smb4k are graphical front-ends for the exact same back-end software, so if you can get one to work you ought to be able to get the other to work.

I personally started out using linneighborhood, but I found that smb4k worked better "out of box". If you're having better success with linneighborhood, then perhaps you should just stick with that.

However, linneighborhood will never automatically start by default. You can fix this by inserting it into a "startup script" somehow. I used the KDE desktop environment, so I did this by creating a short script in KDE's startup directory (something like ~/.kde/startup/). I don't remember the exact details.

When I switched to using smb4k, I didn't have to bother with that stuff. It's a KDE application, so it already had integrated support for starting up along with KDE.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan