Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Can this be done ? I want to set up a box (probably Gentoo) to act as a remote (access from the web) fileserver/storage box. It will be stand ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Per User Disc Quota's

Hi

Can this be done ?

I want to set up a box (probably Gentoo) to act as a remote (access from the web) fileserver/storage box. It will be stand alone in as much as it will perform no other function.

I envisage setting up the machine with two discs, hda to hold the OS and not accessible by anyone other than myself. And a second storage disc, hdb.

What I would like to do is set up the storage disc in say, 5Gb chunks that can be allocated on a per user basis. ie When I create a new user, 5Gb of the storage disc becomes theirs to do with what they will, whilst still maintaining admin (ie me) access for security/integrity reasons.

I know that you can set up disc quota's in fstab somehow (still got to read the man pages !) but how would I allocate the chunks to each new user as and when they are created. Would I have to have some sort of script ? or is there a better way.

I am at a very early stage in the project and have an awful lot of reading to do before I give it a go. I am just after some thoughts as to feasibility and any config hints that people may have.

Regards

Bubo
    My Computer Once Beat Me at Chess, but it is No Match for Me at Kickboxing !

Registered Linux User: #417183

Keep reading... and, include this:

Code:
    man setquota

Linux Newbie
    Tried that already !

Got this:

Code:
    stu@1[~]$ man setquota
    No manual entry for setquota
    stu@1[~]$ su -
    Password:
    root@1[~]# man setquota
    No manual entry for setquota
    root@1[~]#
    Regards

Bubo

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you do not have '/usr/sbin/setquota', then...

Your installation may be missing some [system utility] code -- perhaps you may need to locate and load it from installation disks, or find and download it from the Gentoo/Slackware/Zenwalk/Suse/Fedora distro website?

If all else fails, create 5Gb partitions and mount each with the proper user/group privileges...

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for that.

I've obviously got a lot of reading ahead of me, but at least I'll be loooking in the right direction now !

Regards

Bubo