Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to setup a file sharing network: Suse 10.0, gnome, samba, basic NIC (192.168.1.102) l l <cat5 l --Cable Modem--Linksys BEFSR41 router (192.1681.1) l l<cat5 l Winxp, 3com ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux/windows network

I am trying to setup a file sharing network:

Suse 10.0, gnome, samba, basic NIC (192.168.1.102)
    l
    l <cat5
    l
    --Cable Modem--Linksys BEFSR41 router (192.1681.1)
    l
    l<cat5
    l
    Winxp, 3com Ehterlink XL 10/100 NIC (192.168.1.100)

Both machines have firewalls turned off and both are pingable from the other. THe XP pc has a shared folder setup. I have samba onthe linux box but I'm a real newb at it and linux. Can't think of any more info that might help. How can i make this work. Please keep in mind I'm more comfortable in a GUI than CLI, but I'm willing to learn. I've searched the MAN's and many forums with no real definative answers. More info needed? Just ask. Thanks in advance.

If you can ping, then you have a network. Just make sure that your default gateway for both the computers is set to 192.168.1.1 and they have the netmask of 255.255.255.0.

Then you probably want to set up Samba on the linux machine to serve files from there, take a look through the docs on that website. In fact, you might even be able to work your way through the smb.conf file, which is probably in /etc/samba to get things going - the standard file is well commented.

Start samba with '/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start' as root.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Which one do you want to be the file server? Or do you want to be able to be at either machine and exchange files?
    The way I do it is to mount the XP's shares in /etc/fstab

//192.168.1.2/wwwroot /mnt/vprMatrix smbfs username=<myusername>,password=<mypassword>,rw,use rs,umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

change <myusername> to your username and <mypassword> to your password.
    This automatically mounts my share from XP at startup.
    For XP to see your linux shares, you need to to have Samba setup and running. You will also need to setup a user and password in Samba so that the Windows box can see it. In CLI, type:

smbpasswd -a <username>

change <username> to a username. After you type that you will get prompted for a password, just enter one. Now, I used the same username and password of my Windows box. Once I did that, my Linux shares showed up in the My Network Places.

EDIT: too slow

If you have the Samba client installed (the client and server are usually packaged separately), you should be able to just open a file manager and put this in the address space:
    Code:
    samba://
    and your Windows workgroup will eventually show up. Then you can browse the Windows share.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

I should clarify, 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of my Windows box, you will need to change this for what ever your box's IP is. and the uid and gid is mine, it might be differnt for you.

Just Joined!
    Thanks all. Samba is all it took. Now i can see my linux box from xp and send files to /home. I can't figure out how to send files from SuSE to my xp shared folder. I tried the samba client but im not sure what info to put in. I tried to enter the name of the network, the name i gave my xp pc and the shared folder location. But i can't find the anything in the network file manager. Any ideas? Thanks again for the help to this point.

If you run gnome as your desktop, it has tools that let you browse the samba network without any special configs. Here on my Fedora machine, under the 'places' menu, there is a 'Network Servers' entry that lets me browse other machines on the network and a 'connect to machine' which lets me open them by name.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/