Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Currently my client has service with Qwest, and he's using their supplied ActionTec gt701-wg modem/router. The router was coded by drunk arangutangs and creates all kinds of problems when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    ivj
    Just Joined!

Are all DSL modems the same? Can I buy anything for Qwest?

Hi!

Currently my client has service with Qwest, and he's using their supplied ActionTec gt701-wg modem/router. The router was coded by drunk arangutangs and creates all kinds of problems when trying to set up local services.

We decided that the easiest solution would be to buy a new DSL modem without the router functionality, so we can use IPtables on a gateway Linux machine, which makes our life very easy.

However, I don't know much about DSL modems and their standards. I'm about to visit howstuffworks.com, but I thought I'd ask you guys too.

Qwest people told me that they use "ddt" and "ppo" standards. However, when searching for a "DSL modem" on eBay, nobody mentions any of those things. So will any modem work? Or do I need something specific?

Can you recommend something stable and without routing functionality?

Well I'm not sure specifically about Qwest, but as far as I am aware you can use any dsl modem/router as long as you have all of the settings. The two ISPs I have used have both been good about providing details on their websites. Once you have your logina and the connection details it should work.

I think most modems have PPPOE if that is related to your standards. Personally I have used Zyxel and Netopia router/modems and they are both excellent and easy to configure. My only conecrn would be if you choose to buy a modem rather than a router then yuo may find yourself stuck with only a USB connection which could be a problem.
    Last edited by bigtomrodney; 05-23-2006 at 08:41 AM.

ivj
    Just Joined!
    Where exactly do you put in the password? Isn't the DSL provided to your phone line, so there's no need for one?