Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got the following errors in my logs but I don't understand what the problem is or why they are logged at level error. Code: mount.smbfs[10414]: mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service...

I've got the following errors in my logs but I don't understand what the problem is or why they are logged at level error.
    Code:
    mount.smbfs[10414]: mount.smbfs: entering daemon mode for service \\somemachine\e, pid=10414
    mount.smbfs[10414]: [2006/05/11 15:52:01, 0] client/smbmount.c:send_fs_socket(389)
    Everything seems to mount ok, can anybody tell me why this occurs or how to fix it?

The top one is not an error, it's telling you that the samba instance doing the mount is dropping into the background so it can keep the service going.

The second one, however, looks like a warning of some kind - was there anything else that went with it?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

no just these two lines over and over for the different hosts that are mounted. I don't want this extraneous info in my logs and I''d really like to fix the root cause if there is one.

The only way I can think of to get around the first one may be to use nfs rather than samba to mount the drive - but that's not going to be possible if you're mounting the drive from a windows machine. It is also possible that the two messages could be linked in some way, and if you get rid of the first, the second could disappear too.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I wish I knew how to get rid of either!...