Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a research project to setup a proxy server such that clients can login to the server and use this server to access the internet. The clients are not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Anonymous Proxy Gateway

I have a research project to setup a proxy server such that clients can login to the server and use this server to access the internet. The clients are not in the same network as the Server. When the client surfs the net the clients information (IP) is hidden and the servers information (IP) is displayed.

I have no idea where to start. I know SQUID is a proxy server but most documentation I've read is about setting up squid for use within a network.

I need to setup something similar to the 'anonymous proxy servers' that float around the net to protect you IP except that I want to be able to have some sort of security or control over who uses the proxy so no fly-by-night hacker tries to use my system.

I have a SuSE 10 machine to setup as a Proxy Server.

Any thoughts?

I believe It should be exactly the same. In a private network the IP's would not be valid externally (normally) so squid directs querys to the interface with a valid external ip. but in your case that would be the same interface, only your clients must have direct access anyway in order to see your proxy server, and then setup to use it as a proxy, I think the bigger problem would be configuring tru anonymity ( I imagine you can do tht in squid but I dont know) ... if I browse to www.whatismyip.com or similar it can detect my private ip (on that is invalid on the internet like 192.168.x.x 172.16.x.x 10.x.x.x) so if you were using it as an anonymous proxy for a valid ip address it wouldnt be much use
    Cheers Ian
    Registerd Linux user #119296

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ihayhurst View Post
    I believe It should be exactly the same. In a private network the IP's would not be valid externally (normally) so squid directs querys to the interface with a valid external ip. but in your case that would be the same interface, only your clients must have direct access anyway in order to see your proxy server, and then setup to use it as a proxy, I think the bigger problem would be configuring tru anonymity ( I imagine you can do tht in squid but I dont know) ... if I browse to What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more or similar it can detect my private ip (on that is invalid on the internet like 192.168.x.x 172.16.x.x 10.x.x.x) so if you were using it as an anonymous proxy for a valid ip address it wouldnt be much use
    Cheers Ian
    i have configured squid3 on centos5 for anonymity but it's not working,it show the following error.can any one help me

ERROR
    The requested URL could not be retrieved

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: Google

Socket Failure

The system returned: (99) Cannot assign requested address

Squid is unable to create a TCP socket, presumably due to excessive load. Please retry your request.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:49:24 GMT by localhost.localdomain (squid/3.0.STABLE10)

Linux Newbie
    please post your config file. and write do your network topologic.

Just Joined!

Squid3 on centos 5 error

Quote Originally Posted by signmem View Post
    please post your config file. and write do your network topologic.

i have configured squid3 as per the below link without and error even though
    it's not working ,below the link

Anonymous Proxy Using SQUID 3 On CentOS 5.x | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

the squid service start and stop well but i am unable to browse it shows socket error

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mahendran View Post
    i have configured squid3 as per the below link without and error even though
    it's not working ,below the link

Anonymous Proxy Using SQUID 3 On CentOS 5.x | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

the squid service start and stop well but i am unable to browse it shows socket error

Now everything is set right but it's not working as a anonymizer . when i open whatismyip.com it shows my ISP IP ,can anyone help me out .

thanks
    Mahendran.r