Find the answer to your Linux question:
I found drivers for my new USB wireless dongle, and I can now power up the device, woohoo. But I seem now to be getting issues with wpa_supplicant, I wondered ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wifi with zv1211b and wpa_supplicant, help needed

I found drivers for my new USB wireless dongle, and I can now power up the device, woohoo. But I seem now to be getting issues with wpa_supplicant, I wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and maybe got anything like a solution?

The system is Fedora Core 5 for the x86_64.

The driver is up, the static IP is assigned correctly and it is communicating, but my wireless security (WPA_PSK) wont let it in without additional help. The pre-packaged wpa_supplicant module didn't seem to use the zydas interface (needed for this chipset) so I used the wext driver interface, it just locked the system solid - I couldn't even get in over the wired network to shut it down.

So I downloaded the latest wpa_supplicant module, 0.4.9 compiled it with the following options turned on (as per the document on the safecom website, safecom are the manufacturer of the USB wifi dongle):
    Code:
    CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
    CONFIG_EAP_MD5=y
    CONFIG_MSCHAPV2=y
    CONFIG_EAP_PEAP=y
    CONFIG_EAP_TLS=y
    CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y
    CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXTENSION=y
    CONFIG_DRIVER_ZYDAS=y
    and tried it out with:
    Code:
    wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c wpa_supplicant.conf -d -D zydas
    But it comes up and says that the error "driver 'zydas' ctrl_interface 'N/A'", and "Unsupported driver 'zydas'", and promptly fails. I also tried with the WEXT driver interface, but that just locks the system solid again.

I repeated the test with an earlier stable version of wpa_supplicant (0.3.11) to find out what had happened to the zydas interface, and it gave the same results.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be happening here? It's got me stumped; it should support the zydas interface, but doesn't.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

"To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Thanks for that antidrugue, I've not tried that version of wpa_supplicant, so I'm off to give it a go now. I'd looked on there for something like this, but now found it... I feel so foolish.

I did try those drivers, though, and they wont compile on the 64bit platform, and I cant work out why (I posted that on another thread several days ago). The drivers I'm using are open-source equivalents, which do compile, and appear to be working.

Well this is fascinating. It still doesn't work, but is better. Now it reports:
    Code:
    ioctl[ZD_IOCTL_PARAM]: Operation not supported
    wpa_driver_zydas_init: failed to set wpa_supplicant-based roaming
    and it has locked the laptop solid again.

This could be an incompatibility with the driver I got hold of. Now I'm off to check the driver - there could be some flag I didn't set when I built it, or it could be that I need the real mccoy from the zydas site to work properly.