Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a lucent linmodem. In a HD install of knoppix (debian), I have gotten the linmodem working using a plethora of different howto's and posts. Unfortunately, the driver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linmodem, connects to ISP, but can't ping past gateway.

Hi,

I have a lucent linmodem. In a HD install of knoppix (debian), I have gotten the linmodem working using a plethora of different howto's and posts.

Unfortunately, the driver is a not-so-free driver that only lets me connect at 14.4 (and I can't see that I want to pony up 35$ for the extra speed, after all, 90$ will buy me a HW modem, which I thought I was getting when I bought the first thing... aargh).

Getting back to the problem, I can connect to the ISP (I can listen to the connection happen through my sound card) and I can manually get to the ISP text login, successfully log in, and start ppp (yes, I have also set up scripts to do this).

After I am connected, ifconfig shows the ppp-line. I can see the local and remote IP's. I can ping either end. I have the DNS servers correctly entered, and I think I have my routing table being generated properly as I connect/disconnect. But when I try to ping anything past the other end of my serial line connection, I don't get an answer. I have spent quite come time trying to fix this already... I'm going to try the steps in the diald howto, but I am somewhat doubtful that this will solve my problem. (since I have already set up ppp-on/off by hand and tried going through several other ways of establishing the connection.)

--help--

Thanks

Linux Guru
    That is indeed a bit strange. Would you mind posting your routing table?

As a side note - if I were you, I would try to return that WinModem to the store that I bought it from, considering that you thought it was a real modem.

Just Joined!

re: returning the modem

I bought the modem from an online auction. It was marked motorola 56K modem. Sounded kosher at the time... Now it has been a few years, but you know how (not) easy it would have been trying to get my money back from them. So I have switched that modem for one that was in my lab (which also happens to be a *^&$%^& softmodem. At least this one can work...

I have just installed diald, in my continuing quest to get things running, and it has changed my routing table from what it was when I originally tried to make things work with ppp-on/off...

Here is my current routing table (I am writing from my laptop, and trying to configure my desktop):
    netstat -rn
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
    10.1.1.2 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 sl0
    192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 sl0
    0.0.0.0 192.168.0.254 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

resolv.conf
    nameserver 132.206.44.21
    nameserver 132.216.44.21

I am currently running through the diald howto. Is this an ideal way to try to set up my dialup connection? What howto should I follow? Is there one most commonly accepted way (keep in mind I have a Debian flavour)...

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Oh, I see the problem with returning it... =/

In any case, that routing table does look a bit weird in my eyes. Try running these commands after connecting and see if that does the trick:
    Code:
    route del -net 0.0.0.0 gw 0.0.0.0 netmask 0.0.0.0
    route del -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.0.254 netmask 0.0.0.0
    route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 10.1.1.2 netmask 0.0.0.0
    Replace the 10.1.1.2 in the last command with the destination of the sl0 entry with the 255.255.255.255 netmask, like the one that you presented.