Find the answer to your Linux question:
Working at a school, I'm in charge of finding a way to block inappropriate sites on the net. By inappropriate, I mean sites that are sexual in nature, have foul ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good content filter?

Working at a school, I'm in charge of finding a way to block inappropriate sites on the net. By inappropriate, I mean sites that are sexual in nature, have foul language, violence, etc.

Are there any good filters that can be placed on a secondary firewall that will help dynamically block these types of sites, either by keywords or by a "known" list?

What firewall do you have?

Just Joined!
    IPTables on Slackware 9

Squid has content filtering ive never used it though.

You also have privoxy(.org) that can do what you want and more. It can also block sexual oriented pages, filter out ads (more time for loading the page not advertisements) etc etc..

Also, you can add the most obvious pages in /etc/hosts so that the page will just timeout when you're loading them. If the clients use windows, you can install something called improxitron or something similar.

Good luck!

As kriss said, you can just redirect the bad sites to 127.0.0.1 so they'll time out. ANd the windows program that he's thinking of is called The Proxomitron
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the info. I did some research. My findings are this:

Privoxy appears to be a client-based proxy server. So each system would have it installed.

Transproxy might fit in with IPTables for the reroute of http traffic, and Squid might be a good content filter.

Does this sound right?

Why are you guys replying to a 3 year old post???
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Banned
    because it is cached in search engines, and people reading them generaly dont pay attention to the date.

Just Joined!
    True...many people use these as reshearch for this own issues with out asking the question again.

I used to use Dans Guardian/SQUID and used an iptables run to redirect all port 80 requests to the firewall's proxy port. By doing that no one could bypass the proxy and thus the filtering by modifying their internet settings.