Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Another rant about the Gigafast PCMCIA 802.11 using the Realtek adapter. I know that it is using a RealTek 8180 adapter, since I had to download it from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gigafast Realtek 802.11 Installation

Hi All,

Another rant about the Gigafast PCMCIA 802.11 using the Realtek adapter.

I know that it is using a RealTek 8180 adapter, since I had to download it from the realtek website to get it running flawlessly on windows. The packaged driver sucked ass.

I downloaded the linux driver from the website.. and cant get it running out of the box.

when I do insmod RTL8180_24x.0 - it doesnt throw an error and I assume it works ok. On the subsequent "iwpriv wlan0 enable" it throws a Segmentation Fault. I also tried to make the target object again. It throws some warnings but seems to create the final file. But that doesnt help either. I am at my wits end and dont know what else I can do.

Any suggestions or advice most appreciated.

Also cardctl ident shows a realtek 8139 device, even before I insmod anything. Any ideas why is this, because 8139 is a ethernet adapter and cardctl is supposed to identify wireless devices (or so I thought or could it be pcmcia devices!).

Please advice guys.

Thanks a lot.

Linux Guru
    Check if it's detected as a network interface - run "/sbin/ifconfig -a" and check so that it's present.