Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used KNetworkConf to setup network connection, but something goes wrong; I cannot start the networking service. I tried starting it through the kcontrol and through konsole ("/etc/init.d/networking restart"), but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems running networking service

I used KNetworkConf to setup network connection, but something goes wrong; I cannot start the networking service.
    I tried starting it through the kcontrol and through konsole ("/etc/init.d/networking restart"), but they both give a failed message with no explanation.

A coworker of mine checked the settings I put (I used "KDE Network Configuration" by Sean Wheller/Christoph Eckert), and says they look OK.

Looking through Windows, I see I have a "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" and a "1394 Net Adapter".

What does it say in the logs? Take a look in /var/log/messages, it might give some clue.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks, I will check it out and let you know later.

Just Joined!
    I found the file but I see nor understand much of it. If anyone is interested in analizing it, I can send it through email (too big to attach it here).

All you need is to do a 'tail -f /var/log/messages' and while that's running do '/etc/init.d/networking restart', and post the lines that are added to the output as a result of that second command.

Just Joined!
    Good morning,
    I tried what you suggested to no avail. Then I realized there was one thing the manual I was using did not mention: The Networking Profile tab.

I went there and set a profile. That was it. I was able to access my company's network.

I have more things I need to set up, like two distinct winmodems (one for this Toshiba laptop and one for a Dell PC), so you'll hear from me a lot more in this forum.

Thank you for the help.

Just Joined!
    I found another related problem: the networking service does not seem to start when I boot the system. I have to manualy restart de service even though it has the "start at booting" option on.

You probably need to turn on networking to start in your default runlevel. Take a look at the manpage for the 'chkconfig' command control this.