Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, Basiclly, one of my familys laptop just melted. I can't be 100% sure, but I think I should be able to boot a live CD linux in command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Twe
    Just Joined!

Copying a Hard Drive, Over a Network

Hi there,

Basiclly, one of my familys laptop just melted. I can't be 100% sure, but I think I should be able to boot a live CD linux in command prompt only. What I need to do, is save all the data in the windows installtion on the hard drive, like pictures etc. I would like to copy the hard drive over a network cable, to my desktop pc.

However, I'm kinda unsure about how to do this, I assume the live cd will at least find one of the laptops ethernet ports....

HELP ?

Thanks in advanced

Twe

you can use scp which utilizes ssh:

here are some links

ssh
    scp
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Twe
    Just Joined!
    Did i forget to mention that the Desktop Pc is running windows, WOOPS. Oh god thats going to involve SMB ?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twe
    Did i forget to mention that the Desktop Pc is running windows, WOOPS. Oh god thats going to involve SMB ?
    Not necessarily. You can work a number of ways. You can bring the data TO the windows machine with things like FTP, and other forms of remote login. The other options is to liveCD BOTH machines, and use NFS, or whatever your *NIX file transfer method of choice is.

And in answer to your question. Yes it should detect the NIC. If you're like me and don't use DHCP, you might have to run the network config tool the liveCD comes with (Kmenu, KNOPIX, Network Configuration if you're using 4.02 Knoppix) to set the IP but that's really nothing. Or you can just run ifconfig ethX <ip>/<netmask> and you're done.