Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1000SW Router. I have a laptop running windows xp. It is able to detect the wireless network in my house, and then it lets me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Internet Problem

I have a 2Wire HomePortal 1000SW Router. I have a laptop running windows xp. It is able to detect the wireless network in my house, and then it lets me enter the wep key. After that, I am able to browse the web. I recently got a Slax live cd. It works great. The only problem...I can't connect to the internet. It won't detect the wireless network. I tried various things to fix it, but none of them worked. I've also looked on google for countless hours. Could anyone help me out? I really want to have internet in slax. It is a huge pain switching back and forth between windows and slax.

Thanks

What chipset does your wirless card use? If you don't know, open up a terminal and type
    Code:
    su
    then enter your root password* (nothing will show up on the screen when you enter the password, but don't worry, it is being accepted - just hit enter when you've finished) then type
    Code:
    lspci
    The output of lspci will include a line relating to your wireless card, in my case it's
    Code:
    00:10.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)
    yours will be similar but somewhat different.

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles

*just in case - you probably don't need to be root but you might...
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Giles
    What chipset does your wirless card use? If you don't know, open up a terminal and type
    Code:
    su
    then enter your root password* (nothing will show up on the screen when you enter the password, but don't worry, it is being accepted - just hit enter when you've finished) then type
    Code:
    lspci
    The output of lspci will include a line relating to your wireless card, in my case it's
    Code:
    00:10.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Intersil ISL3890 [Prism GT/Prism Duette] (rev 01)
    yours will be similar but somewhat different.

HTH
    Toodle-oo
    Giles

*just in case - you probably don't need to be root but you might...
    Here is the full output (just in case you need it):
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
    00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
    03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)
    03:01.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C552 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 0
    03:01.2 Class 0805: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 17)
    03:03.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)

I haven't played around with that chipset before, but I did a Google Linux search for 2200BG, and there seems to be a pretty active* project on sourceforge designed to get it working. Apparently the project was started by Intel themselves, which is probably a good sign too. Check out the project's homepage (especially the second box down, "requirements"), and indeed their installation instructions. There's another brief set of instructions on using that project at Linuxweblog (although that says it's specifically for Fedora, pretty much all the instructions are on the terminal, so wont be any different between different distributions).

That's as much info as i can really give you now, since, as I say, I havent used that chipset myself. However, I'll be happy to have a go at particular problems, if any come up while you're working through that.

Hope that's a useful set of links
    Toodle-oo
    Giles

*last news post was only about 5 days ago
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027