Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have more of a question than a problem and hoping some of you can help. Right now I am running Apache2 web server on my home network ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web Server and NAT

Hello everyone,

I have more of a question than a problem and hoping some of you can help.

Right now I am running Apache2 web server on my home network with a private IP address. Obviously to make this accessible to the outside I need to configure NAT. The web server works fine when I enter this in my Cisco router:

Code:
    cisco(config)#ip nat inside source static ip address interface Dialer1
    However, to allow other services on other hosts to be accessible, it must be configured to map the port as well with the following command:

Code:
    cisco(config)#ip nat inside source static tcp ip address 80 interface Dialer1 80
    Now when I use the second command my web server is no longer accessible. It should work, as I know it has in the past with Microsoft IIS. I am wondering if there is something in Apache2 or Linux that may be blocking these connections. I tried shutting off firewall protection on port 80 but it didn't help. I am using Fedora Core 5 by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Linux Enthusiast
    Your first command is a 1:1 NAT and the second is more or less PAT.

Just Joined!
    Right, the PAT works fine for other services such as Telnet when I use it for other eqiupment but the PAT doesn't work for the web server. I pretty much have to use 1:1 NAT for the Linux host and then SSH to that to access anything else internal. It is not that big of a deal but I was wondering if there is something with Linux that may be blocking the PAT.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    Something is wrong somewhere as I'm sure you have figured out. What is the model and IOS ver. of your Cisco router? It isn't a SOHO 91, is it? The reason that I ask is that I employ Cisco equipment and on one router alone, I have 13-static IP addresses with NAT flying all over the place - between internal and DMZ networks and everything works fine.