Find the answer to your Linux question:
My normal user can't start my network via Code: dhcpcd -d eth0 I have to su in order to start up my network. Do I need to add my user ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

user cant start network

My normal user can't start my network via
    Code:
    dhcpcd -d eth0
    I have to su in order to start up my network. Do I need to add my user to like a specific 'network' user group or something? If so, what's the command for that?
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu

I'm not sure how ArchLinux deals with this, but you could try using 'sudo' to allow that user to run certain commands with root privileges using their own password. You can specify exactly what commands can be run by each user seperately. Everything gets logged too, so it can be really useful.

Take a look at the man page for sudo. You may need to get the sudo package installed from your package manager first, though. On my CentOS server the package is called 'sudo', so I dont expect it to be much different on Arch.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Sudo doesn't come inherent in archlinux - only distro I've used like that is ubuntu. I'd prefer to just give the user rights to start the network (I can't imagine that would pose too many security threats...) but I can't figure out how to do so.
    10" Sony Vaio SRX99P 850MHz P3-M 256MB RAM 20GB HD : ArchLinux
    14" Dell Inspiron 1420N 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HD : Xubuntu