Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sup all; I have an ltmodem (it works with RH8.0) and have just installed Gentoo as a dual-boot. I ran emerge ltmodem, which installed with no reported problems. I checked ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

LtModem & Gentoo 1.4

Sup all;

I have an ltmodem (it works with RH8.0) and have just installed Gentoo as a dual-boot. I ran emerge ltmodem, which installed with no reported problems. I checked /etc/modules.conf for the proper alias lines and they are present. I ran ls -l /dev/modem and the symbolic link is present.
    I've done pretty much the same as I've done to get it working with redhat. Anyone who has gotten gentoo and ltmodem to work together...let me in on the secret would you!
    I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    did you remember to modprobe the driver?
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

yep..
    Actually I got it to dial out and connect but it isn't authenticating now. I think I have to edit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and comment out a few lines. Then check my syntax in /etc/wvdial.conf
    At least it's dialing now, just not logging on...lol. Gentoo is killing me! Oddly though, I'm enjoying it...

Linux Engineer
    feel the joy of *knowing* how to use your computer again! *feel* it!
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

I'm trapped in PPPhell!
    ran tail -f /var/log/messages which, when trying to connect, showed: couldn't set tty to PPP discipline:Invalid argument. It's dialing out...reaching isp..but not logging in...it works with RH 8.0, same isp, etc. Qtwvdialer has output of PPP not enabled ...
    I don't know where to go from here.