Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am trying to configue Linux after upgrading to Suse 10. I am stuck right now bÍcause after configuring the DSL server I don't seem to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Can't get onto the net

Hi, I am trying to configue Linux after upgrading to Suse 10. I am stuck right now bÍcause after configuring the DSL server I don't seem to be able to access any www sites beyond the Novell server. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony

Uhhh oh, jargon overload...

What do you mean by DSL server? Do you have a Damn Small Linux server? Or is it (as I suspect) an ADSL router, gateway or firewall box of some kind?

What do you mean by Novell server? Is that an in-house beast, or are you talking about the server for the Novell website? Or is this something hosted by your ISP that works as some kind of gatewaying device (which I suspect it might be)?

If you can talk to an ADSL gateway on your LAN then networking is functional. If you can get no further then it could be your gateway that is wonky, or it could be that you have no nameserver on your lan to turn all those nice easy domain names (like www.microsoft.com) into hard-to-remember-and-type IP addresses (like 207.46.225.60).

If you can give us a little more information we can probably help a little better.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Hi Roxoff

To explain, by DSL I mean ADSL router. By Novell, I mean www.novell.com. I can into the router and to the Novell site but no further. Yes, I believe you are right, I am missing somethin that turn all those nice easy domain names (like www.microsoft.com) into hard-to-remember-and-type IP addresses (like 207.46.225.60) on my LAN.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Does your ADSL router do a DNS function? If it does, then the solution would be simple - configure and turn on DNS on the router, pointing it at the DNS address supplied by your ISP, then point your lan computers DNS settings to the IP address of your router. If your router doesn't do DNS, then you can always point your lan-computers straight to the DNS provided by your ISP.

Just Joined!

DNS Router

Yes my Router does do DNS because I have two Windows machines running off it and they have no problems accessing the net or getting an IP address. But you have lost me with "configure and turn on DNS on the router, pointing it at the DNS address supplied by your ISP, then point your lan computers DNS settings to the IP address of your router." I am sure the DNS on the router is turned on. If I do an ifconfig I get the IP/Inet address for the Linux box. Is there anything else I need to turn on in the config??

Open up the config system for your router (probably a web page, or could be a ssh or telnet session) and see what is configured for DNS server IP address. You've probably got a couple of IP addresses specified, if not, find out what your ISP's DNS server IP addresses are and put them in here.

The DNS specification on your Linux machine should be in /etc/resolve.conf. The last line should say 'nameserver a.b.c.d', and the a.b.c.d should be the ip address of your gateway. If it isn't change it so that it is (keep a note of what's in there already).

If after you've done this it still doesn't work, try putting the nameserver IP's that are shown in your router config into your /etc/resolve.conf. You can have more than one nameserver line.

Just Joined!

DNS Server

OK, I tried to get into /etc/resolv.conf but got a -bash Permission denied message. I did open the Terminal program in Superuser mode. What's also strange is I can't get the KDE File Manager - super user mode to open. I have to add I am working in the Gnome desktop.

Use 'vim' from the command line. It's a bit unusual at first, but it's worth getting used to - it's very powerful.